Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

My uncle Vernon Peters

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by jo meyer, Dec 30, 2015.

1. jo meyer

jo meyer New Member

Vern was born around 1927. He called me the other day because he thought i could help him find a trench buddy during the second world war. I think he said he and this buddy were in the trench. He said his buddy hands were injured and so one handed and I think Vern was injured himself. So vern was loading the gun and maybe helping pull the trigger, etc. A lot of details left out. They received care in Japan. He said he looked for this buddy after he was released from medical care. He found this buddy sitting in the truck ready to go out and fight again with his hands still bandaged up. My uncle wants to find this buddy __ Charles Holzer from Brooklyn, New York. Third Division _ so far have found his information-- HOLZER CHARLES - RA12308540 - 1951/03/31 - NY - NewYork - RTD - 7th Inf Regt-3rd Inf Div

From Brooklyn when uncle knew him. Can anyone advise ways to learn more about him after returning his to action. People think it was Korean war> Would they have had hospitalization in Japan in war or end of war??

My uncle had trained for call back to Korea in Washington area. He settled in oregon afterwards Md. No children.

I can see why after time in those trenches how one would like to know more about the guy in there with you.

2. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

My dad was wounded in Korea during the Chosin battle late Nov to Dec 1950..he was flown out of Korea to Japan for medical treatment...then rejoined his unit after recovery....yes, they had medical treatment in Japan during the war.......Korean War was 1950-1953

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Well, the info you found on him came from a Korean War Casualty List: www.koreanwaronline.com/history/CasualtyList/holo.htm

Also, the 3rd Division was not in the Pacific during WWII, so if this is your uncle:

PETERS VERNON A - ER17215472 - 1951/06/01 - MN - Ramsey - RTD - 7th Inf Regt-3rd Inf Div

then he is probably just mis-remembering it as WWII when it was actually the Korean War.