Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

My week of digging/researching.

Discussion in 'Battlefield Relics' started by colletorww2, Oct 11, 2010.

1. colletorww2

colletorww2 Ace

As i promised you guys: here is my report on last week which was my fall vacation, i spent it mostly on trying to find out information about a german plane that was shot down during the war and crashed on an island called Toska(Which is where i used to live) and i dug up a couple of parts too.

The first couple days it was raining too much to dig. But when the rain took a break, i went out a bit and dug, but the soil was so wet and it started raining again, a couple day later when it stopped raining i went out again, but wherever i dug, the holes got filled with water, i managed to dig one hole, it was very muddy, but i managed to dig up lots of rusted items(Pictures will added of the parts later today when i have cleaned them).

I visited two people who saw the plane go down, and the reason it got shot down is because every German pilot had to signal that he was German so he would not be shot down, this pilot forgot to signal that he was German, then Skjellanger fortress and Herdla airport started firing at him, he then signals that he is German, they stop firing, but then a nearby German guard boat wants to join in on the fun and eventually shoots the plane down. He comes in from the south over the island and almost crashes in 2 houses, then he pulls directly up like a rocket. He also turns the plane a bit so he won't get hit by it, he bails out and ends up in the ocean north of the island and gets picked up by the norwegians and later picked up by the germans.

He was Uffz(Unteroffizer) Josef Sommeregger of the Jagstaffel 1./I./JG 5, he was shot down in his FW-190 A-3 1/2/1943. I also found out he did not survive the war, he died 7/7/1943 in his Messerschitt Bf-109 G-2 at the rank of Fw(Anybody knows what that is?)(Any additional information about him will be appreciated).

PS: Photos will be added later today(Hopefully).

2. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

The rank would be Feldwebel (RAF sergeant/USAAF Technical Sergeant equivalent);

Luftwaffe Ranks

3. colletorww2

colletorww2 Ace

Yeah, i found out about that on another forum. It is quite interesting how he flew a Fw-190 A-3 when he got shot down at the rank of Unteroffizer, later he gets promoted to Feldwebel, flying a Messerschmitt Bf-109 G-2 until he gets shot down and is reported M.I.A 7/7/1943, the only thing the sea-rescue service found was a bit of oil and a lifejacket.