Discussion in 'Military Vehicle Restoration' started by Robby101st, May 22, 2010.
Looking good there. Smooth paint job from what I can see.
Good job Robbie. We're still looking at it, even when we don't comment.
Excellent job so far, keep us posted on your progress. I just love seeing something like this coming together. Great project.
Here are some pics of todays work.
I made a bath and filled it with oil, and let the wood soak in it for a few days.
So now a large piece of the floor is done.
On the first pic you see still a lot of original paint. Im not going to remove it but just overpaint it. Just for the feeling of it hahaha
Here are some extra pics from last few days
the first is the dashboard leg. Most of the time they are rusted. So a piece of this piece is new..
The lower floor is also done. on the right side i still have to attach the step and a piece of wing. I tryed to keep as much as possible the way it is. So a few patches of new floor was necessary. The wood is also back in the profiles. And i placed some cablebinders..
Here busy with the last piece of floor. Offcourse the piece where the wood has rotten through.
This page should be mandatory viewing for anyone contemplating a Willys.
It should make you think twice about tackling a rust bucket. The amount of work Robby has accomplished in four months, working almost outdoors, is mindboggling.
But moreover it shows you what you can do with some talent, determination, and a lot of welding wire...
Guys its going great so far..
here is a sneakpreview of my todays job, tomorrow i will make more pics with daylight
Here some pics i shot today after two days of painting
Looking good Robbie!
I can't wait to see how this is going to look. I'm considering in August looking for an old Willy jeep just to restore as I love restoring old vehicles. I might have to pay a few bucks but it would be worth it. What would I name him? HOUND (for Autobot Hound in the Transformers cartoon).
Finally after a week (not that is a long time) it was time to pick up my chassis again. AAh lovely to be a step closer to completion again. Next step will be the leafsprings and paint is OD.
Here some pics:
And i also have a nice axe from the Mann edge tool co. Lewistone PA now. Made it in the same style as the shovel.
many new pics for you all.
again some new parts:
First of, my first US cavalier Jerrycan. I allready had a german and a Britisch one. And i know it is not a gasoline version but thats something for later.
My new shocks next to the old ones with G503 inscription. I think its important that parts like brakes and shock are top notch
8 new rings with rubbers for the spring u shackles.
Rubber plates for between the body and chassis.
Also got a nice original sprae part box with al the splitpins i need plus the spare ones..
Some other parts are painted and those pics will comes later..
and one leafspring installed again. now the next and then finishing the brakes.
today i finished the brakes and al the wheelbearings etc. Now i can replace the body so that is dont have to sit outside anymore.
Wonderful work Rob, when you are finished that little unit should last for another half century or more. Great work, and attention to detail is outstanding.
Good work, keep the pics coming.
The body is back in the "garage" again, and no longer outside.
this is how we brought the body around the house. ( my dad and brother in law)
That's one heckuva wheel barrow.
Very nice work indeed!
It's coming along great!
today the jeep went outside and enjoyed the sun, also i placed my mannequin with it for a moment