Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Nachtjagd mementoes..

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Martin Bull, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Just received from a UK dealer - very reasonably priced - a nice autographed photo of Martin Drewes. Signed post-war, but I don't mind.

Also a Halifax postal cover signed by both Bill Reid VC ( in the days when he used to sign 'William Reid' ) and Hajo Herrmann ( who has added 'Wilde Sau' under the signature ).

Rounds the year off nicely - good hunting in 2003 to fellow miltaria hunters ! ;)

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Martin, a Martin Drewes signature/pic eh......good job ! Something that I do not have in my own collection even..... ;) Did you know he has his biography written a couple of years ago ?

E

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I THOUGHT you did have Martin Drewes signature already?? I must have mis-read the email when we were discussing that a year ago. :eek: :eek: :eek:

4. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl, no I haven't. I've had his adresse for a few years, but it is filed away with the other Bf 110G-4 nf pilots/crews that I have not had time to write yet. I am hopeful this year although I have much to write to the guys that flew missions in the Ju 88G-6 in late 44-45. wish I (we), had more time in the day ! ;)

E

5. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Picked up a signed photo of Martin Drewes at the recent meeting in Germany,he was supposed to be attending himself but unfortunately could not make it.Instead he sent over 3 or 4 signed photos and i was lucky enough to get one.

Paul [​IMG]

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Im with you on having more time in the day--plus more money to send when writing to these guys. Ive upped my money to $10.00 per RKT. The latest RKT I wrote to was Otto Kumm--last CO of LSSAH--sent with a Christmas Card. Boy this Christmas was VERY expensive for me--im so broke now and for the rest of the month--I think its Credit Card time. :(

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Man, what is it here ? ! :D Everyone has a signed pic of Martin but me ? ......boo hoo and stupidity written all over my face......I can sure feel this icon symbol now..... [​IMG]

E

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Think about it this way--you have boo coo more contacts and pics and stuff--than we do. :eek: You have the better end of the stick :D

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

that maybe because I have been pursueing this for over 35 years, but there is so much availble from everyone on these forums as to specialization which is truly very Kühl !

E

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I agree--and too bad we all dont have a ways and means to post pics of stuff here. I keep accidently stumbling across very interesting things on different sites of all kinds and--frankly, I wish I could copy the image of certain items I see and post them here--for instance: A pic of some Imperial German Sash Orders and other interesting and VERY expensive items.

11. Martin Bull

I had no idea that a book existed about Martin Drewes.

His career interests me. He isn't one of the more 'glamorous' figures like Wittgenstein or Schnaufer but I get the impression that he was a skilled user of Schrage Musik. Any number of late-war Bomber Command accounts seem to contain the phrase '...shot down by Hauptmann Drewes Me110...'.

I first came across his name when researching the fate of Guy Gibson's Dams crew. Rear-gunner Richard Trevor-Roper was killed on the Nuremburg Raid,'...by the Messerschmitt 110 of Major Martin Drewes....This veteran gunner and his crew had finally fallen to the unsuspected Schrage Musik ( Middlebrook ).

12. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Yes he was quite a pilot and now lives in Brazil. Serving with NJG 1, and having recevied the EL to his Ritterkreuz on April 17, 1945 as a Major. 49 kills, 6 during the day including 4 US heavy bombers. 235 missions. there has been talk and maybe it is in his book that he had the early fitting of weapons on his Bf 110G-4 as standard. Instead of the forward two 20mm and two 30mm he had the older upper 4 mg 17 .30's and the lower two 20mm under the nose.......this is very strange as it was found very early that the mg's were not enough to really damage let alone bring down an RAF heavy bomber. His last victory was on March 3/4 1945. The only pics I have of him are in books and also showing the rear portion of his Bf 110's late in the war so I cannot comment on the frontal weapons installation. In fact I am not sure who wrote or published his book....

E

13. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Martin :

Just noticed a pic of Martin Drewes on a web-site and a not too clear one at that going for $ 65.00 US !

E

14. Martin Bull

Makes me feel OK at paying 15 pounds for mine !

That's one of the fun things about collecting autographs - I have noticed that dealer prices can vary wildly ; you just need to be patient and pick your moment.

Major Drewes is quite intriguing - I had always assumed a Schrage Musik installation due to his multiple success rate. And the only photos I had found in books showed Drewes from the rear, or obscured ; it was nice to receive a proper studio portrait, probably taken ( I would guess ) when he received his EK.

15. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

15 punds eh ? Martin, what does a pound UK relate to US dollar if you know. I have found though that US delears are incredibly spendy when it comes to signed pics.....what a rip !

Yes many aces, high scoreres as well as ones with 5-7 often used or even perferred the Schräg waffen.

E

16. Martin Bull

At the moment, a Pound is roughly a Dollar 65 cents.

17. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Martin :

thanks ! just secured for after the 1st of January a signed pic of Arnold Döring and a signed biographie noted by him in short form for around 40.00 US. He was a RK winner in the bomber forces, later flew Wilde Sau in JG 300 in 109G-6's and later in NJG's 3 and later 2 towards 1945.
    more info in German here:

www.balsi.de/biographdoeringarnold.htm

E

18. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Martin--sorry I had no access to a computer to get back to answer you sooner.

Martin Drewes wrote a book on his service. Its nicely done and with many pictures and stuff in it. Martin Drewes mailed me a copy of his book autographed and dedicated to me. Unfortunately and of course--it is in German so I only verstanded about 25% of what it says but, I do get the general meaning of it. I think his book sells for about $20.00 if you cna find a copy. [​IMG]

19. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Also--for Martin in order to save you money in the future--check with Paul, Erich or myself before you buy another signed foto--I have over 500 RKT addresses on hand--and for the most part--you can still write to the vet--plus in addition to a signed foto--you get a handwritten envelope and letter--better than just a foto and all for one price. :D

Anyway--if looking for the address to a certain name--chances are that I or Erich and or Paul will have it. Anyway--I would like to help you save some money if you wish--by not buying from dealers.

I just wrote to the last commanding officer of the 1st SS Panzer Division "Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler" or LSSAH or LAH for short. Hopefully ill get a quick reply from him and within the next two weeks. I see his signature going anywhere from $45 to over $100 depending on who you go through.

20. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl :

This book isn't stored away now in one of your many boxes is it ? If not please look at the pics and tell us if there are any late war pics of the front of his radar equipped Bf 110G-4. If there are how many guns are present ? Should be 4, two 3cm upper nose and two 2cm lower nose. Or as had been noted to me 4 mg 17's upper nose, two 2cm in lower.

let me know if possible as I am really curious about his armament configuration.

E