Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Name of Russia.

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Soviet man, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soviet man

Soviet man Member

Not so long ago started project Name of Russia where we choose from several hundred of heroes of Russia - main name of russia.

In 12 most popular entered: Alexander Nevckii (1 place), Josef Stalin(2), Vladimir Lenin(3), Georgii Zukov(4), Sergey Esenin(5), last russian's emperor Nikolay 2(6), Konstantin Rocosovkiy(7), Alexander Pushkin(8), Sergii Radonezhskii(9), Petr 1(10), Yuri Gagarin(11), Michail Lomonosov(12).

I wonder who would you choose and why you choosed him? Of course some of you don't know about some of them, I think, but if you interested search in wikipedia please.

2. Herakles

Herakles Member

If by Petr, you mean Peter the Great - Пётр Алексе́евич Рома́нов- he would be my choice by a long way.

3. Kruska

Kruska Member

Hello Soviet man,

Was it just Russians who voted or other nation members as well? How come the IMO most important person is missing – or just not popular amongst a certain Russian political faction?

GORBI, he is the person that freed Russia from Communism and Dictatorship, who moved your country after 80 years from a totally oppressed state to a country where its people can now openly speak out their opinions. He is the reason that you can participate in this Forum, travel wherever you want and even buy a Mercedes if you have the Rubels, which before no one had.

He made it possible for Germany to reunite, for the former Satellite states to regain their independence and choose the political system that they preferred.

That the ex USSR lost out on many of its former provinces (All provinces-members of the Russian Federation have the right to join or leave) is true but maybe need to be accepted under the logical aspect of cultural and religious differences within the former USSR and its population.

It would be Russia’s turn now to convince its neighbors about the benefits that would await them in case of joining or rejoining the Federation. Flexing muscles – threatening the world and crying about its past glory (If there ever was a glory between 1917 – 1989) does not help to change the situation.

Regards
    Kruska

4. Otto

Otto No More Half Measures Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'm not well versed enough in most of those names to rank them intelligently, but I am absolutely shocked that Stalin is 2nd! I honestly don't understand the reverence for Stalin that exists. A mass murdering dictator, soaked in paranoia, he was certainly no friend to the Russian people.

5. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

My vote goes to Alexander Nevsky:
    Alexander Nevsky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He strikes me as a sort of Russian Henry V, as important for his later propaganda value as a hero as for his actual achievements:
    [​IMG]

Otto, I think you have to keep in mind that Russia has a different way of looking at these things often involving rose tinted glasses. He may have been a mass murdering despot but he also saved the motherland from the evil Hitlerite hoards! It is also worth remembering that many believe things were better under Stalin, particularly the elderly (veterans were treated as heros by the regieme) and the young (who didn't actually experience it). I have heard many citizens of the former Soviet Union (not to be confused with 'former citizens of the soviet union' which is a brilliant euphemism) talking about how they miss the old days, I imagine part of it was that the Soviet propaganda machine persuaded them that the USSR was in fact the best at everything where as now they can clearly see that Russia is, well, a mess. That is what all this saber rattling is about I think, proving Russia has a place on the world stage and is a force to be reckoned with, as much to the Russian people as to anyone else.

I think it was Putin who said 'anybody who doesn't miss the old days has no heart, anybody who wants them back has no brain.'

6. Otto

Otto No More Half Measures Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I know what you are saying Stefan. I mean I get it, but I just don't get it.

In this survey the Russian people rated this man as the second greatest man in their nations history. I understand the savior against fascism angle, but he isn't even worthy of that title. He is the one who destroyed the Russian officer ranks prior to the German invasion with his purges, and then refused to believe Hitler would attack despite every indicator to the contrary. Once the invasion did happen he locked himself in a room for almost two weeks and did nothing while the nation needed him most. He killed/purged millions on a whim, and starved millions just to say he had an export surplus. I could go on and on. I'm sure propaganda had has a big part in this, but this is an awful lot to overcome.

When it comes to selecting great men, I tend to strike mass murderers off my list first. Others might employ this same method. ;)

7. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

But what you call a mass murderer others call 'someone who did what had to be done.' Take the Vietnam era presidents or indeed Bush. Many do and will remember them as presidents who 'did what had to be done' however debatable some of their actions were. Not that any of them compare to Stalin but it is the same phenomenon on a grander scale.

8. Soviet man

Soviet man Member

I choosed Stalin as many others did. Cause he ruled a country which was so weak and he made my country one of the strongest countries of world in end of war. Putin by the way, also thinks that Stalin safed Russia. My both grand-grandfathers which fought in that bloody war thinks that Stalin was the greatest leader of Russia!

P.S. Gorbachev is one of the stupid and moronic leaders of planet and he don't deserve to be in this project. He is moron.

9. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

There y'are, I think it is a pretty alien concept in the west, very hard to understand how anything can make one of the greatest mass murderers in the history of the world into a hero but in Russia, well, strong leader and all.

10. Soviet man

Soviet man Member

My grand-grandfathers lived in those times and they never said that Stalin was murder! Never! Our country was too weak! It was nessesary to kill traitors who can make a new revolution! Many information about Stalin were just rumors! And many people which were in jails were really traitors! Yeah, some of them were inoccent, but not so many as people said. Many of them were really traitors which betraited own country and deserved it!

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

So Soviet man is actually fan of a Georgian warlord !:D

Sorry but no Stalin for me, he's a mass murderer.

Peter the Great has my respect, he was a great Emperor, intelligent ,humble curious, smart, constructive who did a lot for his people.

12. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor Patron  

What Stefan says is correct. I even heard a German say that Hitler saved Germany. He was not advocating Nazism, but he did make interesting points from the German perspective. Regardless of the ending, Hitler did bring Germany up from the disgrace of the Versailles Treaty, brought about employment through building projects and made Germany a world power once again. Now he did this through force and the price was loss of individual freedoms. But there are those who would pay that price just to have job security, safe neighborhoods, food on their table and so on.

We as Americans cannot fathom the thought of losing our civil rights but we have had these longer than any nation. So, I can understand where Soviet Man is coming from.

I for one agree with Stefan (again) in the choice of Alexander Nevsky.

13. Kruska

Kruska Member

Hello Soviet man,

I think you just love to provoke people and play "Red Bear"
    My friends father in law, would say just the same thing about Hitler and Nazi Germany and if he would be in this Forum he would propably call himself Grossdeutschland man

Regarding your list: it would be Peter the Great, the only one who brought progress to your country besides Gorbi.

Anyway enjoy yourself and your Soviet propaganda :p

Regards
    Kruska

14. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

I would also go with Alexander Nevsky.

As for Stalin, he rates right there with Hitler, as far as I am concerned. Both were murdering, sociopathic thugs who caused untold misery for essentially the same reason-the personal acquisition of absolute power.

15. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Gorbatchev would be a good choice too, he was able to say "Enough!", break the mould and tell everyone that Communism was past its sell-by date.

Stalin lovers or Hitler lovers have as much respect from me for similar reasons...

16. Soviet man

Soviet man Member

Than answer me! Why people choose him, if he was so bad? All your information about russians is american propaganda and false. For example FOX news! See it if you don't saw it! Go to YouTube - 12 year old ossetian girl tells the truth about Georgia.

And what about Condoleesa Rice? Go to YouTube - 911 comparison with Georgian Crisis gets censored on TV

And there are many another false about russians! Film "enemy at the gate"! Its false! Real Stalingrad's soldiers said that this film is false! And many other of false about us and Stalin. Your TV is full of false. Sorry, but its true!

17. 4th wilts

4th wilts Member

yuri gagarin,the first man in space gets my vote....a soviet and worldwild hero of lots of kids.yours,4th wilts.:)

18. Kruska

Kruska Member

Stalin was ruthless, so was Hitler, so was PolPot/Cambodia - leaders who murder/turn against their own countrymen are dictators and as such out of the discussion regarding a hero or best liked person in that respective country. Not to mention genocide against other countries and races.

This has nothing to do with false propaganda - these are historical facts.

Needless to say that people who support these "leaders" are victims of their own countries propaganda or share the same character.

You are free to choose

Regards
    Kruska

19. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

You need a Russian author and here you have one, Soviet man:

Solzhenitsyn's Bill of Indictment - TIME

Titled The Gulag Archipelago, the book is based on Solzhenitsyn's eleven years in prisons, concentration camps and exile, as well as letters that he received from ex-prisoners and interviews that he conducted with 227 survivors of slave-labor camps.

Equally inflammatory, from the Soviet point of view, are Solzhenitsyn's meticulously documented comparisons of Czarist authoritarianism and Communist dictatorship. In terms of numbers of arrests and executions, and lengths of prison terms, he declares, the Soviet regime has exceeded imperial rule by factors ranging from 10 to 1 to 1,000 to 1. Solzhenitsyn also asserts that the Soviets killed and imprisoned far more people than the Nazis did, excluding wartime casualties on both sides. He estimates that in any one year of the Stalin era, 12,000,000 people were held in prison.

--------------

Somehow in Russia Stalin has been recalled again as a "good man". Man who killed millions of people, all his comrades as well from the birth of the USSR era...Man you don´t want it back. But if you get one back, it´s the Russian people who suffer!

20. Soviet man

Soviet man Member

I know this traitor. He betraited his country and he lied to West that to protect his life from USSR. Read this info ?????????? - ??? ? ????????? :: ?????????????-??????????????? ?????? ?????? ????????????
    Sorry but I can't translate it myself! Please do it yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.