Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Name that plane

Discussion in 'Quiz Me!' started by skunk works, Aug 7, 2008.

1. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

P/F-80 were gas guzzlers as all jet aircraft are...Note the removal of wing tip tanks...This makes it an "A-5" variant.
    [​IMG]

Note also the lack of swept wings...Tut tut...The Americans were aware of swept wing technology thanks to spies in Germany...And yet stayed with a straight wing. Wasn't until 47 that the Sabre was trialled and the first US swept wing fighter was born...A beast of an aircraft but in need of further development...A stronger engine and weapons better suited to jet fighting.
    The Australian Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation CAC (CA-27) did put in development with an uprated British AVON engine and 30mm Aden Cannons.
    Im not convinced the picture you posted is infact a P-80 - "North American" produced both the P-51 and the P-80 - So its going to look similar...

2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Gas guzzlers ? Probably : unless you consider how much the pilots were paying. Free to drive until payday came around ! Blank check and all that.
    Like I told a Army Major when he was stationed in Iran, "Feel free to expend a few thousand dollars of my tax money in .50 cal., rockets, missiles and if it's close quarters small arms I'll pony-up tenfold when ya need it". "Ya won't hear me complain". Actually it was worded somewhat different but this is an open forum!

CAC likes this.
  3. Biak

IMG_3217.jpg

This is the best I can find having the closest perspective. The P51D doesn't appear as tall as the plane in the pic I'm inquiring about. But hey, I'll eventually get another shot of me in a P - F80 and compare those.

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

You look right sitting in that thing Roger...The black hole beneath you is for firing a very pistol...Your original picture has the hole...I cant find a P-80 with the hole.

Biak likes this.
  5. Biak

Yeah yeah I gotta fest up. The plane I was curious about is undoubtedly a P51D. I was really hoping I had found a picture of Merle in the P80. After relenting on my bullhead-iness and looking closer at the canopy everyone else was right and I was wrong! The P80 has a rounded top edge as the P51 has that flatter top.
    No worries, I've become accustomed to being wrong or misguided a lot more than I've been 'somewhat correct'.

CAC likes this.
  6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Got the gray matter working...

7. Biak

Gray ?! I've been white headed since by forties. I lost all gray matter many years ago.

8. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

My grand father turned Snow White at 21…Suited him.

9. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Name that plane?

Swings bottle of cheap champagne. "I name thee 'Pookie'!"

10. Biak

I don't recall a hole to fire a pistol but then again I was too engrossed in bringing my 6 .50's in line with a Mitsubishi crossing my path ! As far as I do remember, there wasn't much room on the left side of the cockpit to do much more than smack your left elbow.

11. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor