Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Name this Naval Vessel

Discussion in 'Quiz Me!' started by Slipdigit, Nov 28, 2007.

1. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

She looks a lot bigger than a Flower, I think Spartanroller is on the right track with "soviet" there are a number of ships that looked a bit like that like Krasnaya Zvezda, but I can't find a good match.

2. Takao

Takao Ace

Well, the abbreviation for the ship's nationality can be can be found in USSR, but, no she is not Soviet.

So far, T. A. Gardner, has been the closest with a converted ferry. The ship served as a car ferry from 1914-1940.

While, I though this ship would have a rather hum-drum war record, she was surprisingly active, especially from 1943 onwards. She even caught a kamikaze at Iwo.

3. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

4. Takao

Takao Ace

Oh! That is close, so close! Your not just i the ballpark, but the infield.

The ship I am looking for is also a product of William Cramp & Sons, but a few years earlier, 1914. As with the USS Weehawken, the ship I am looking for was also carried the name of a US Civil War Union ironclad.

One or two more guesses and you should have it.

5. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

Clearly I'm not reading your hints closely enough. You did mention that the divine wind struck her, rather than simply blowing nearby, didn't you? And while Weehawken was all over the bloody globe, she did manage to dodge the falling planes.

Saw the stacks, netbooms, and odd stern and figured I was there and didn't really think about it enough. Oops.

How about USS Keokuk in her AKN-4 garb? She's another Cramp and Sons product all right. With a name like Henry Flagler (founder, president, and Grand Poobah of the Florida East Coast and indeed, the railroad of the same name) she almost has to have been a railroad car ferry once upon a time. And she did land that Zero, though I can't say much about the condition of the aircraft afterwards.

Oh yes, and there was also a Union steamer with some plates bolted on that bore that name. Beaten to heck and back again by Fort Sumter during the First Battle of Charleston Harbor she sank the next day, but not without a fight.

I'll go with that one.

6. Takao

Takao Ace

USS Keokuk is correct!

The floor is now yours

7. CPL Punishment

CPL Punishment Member

Here's one that changed.

[​IMG]

8. Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman Dishonorably Discharged

The Commerce Raider "Atlantis"?

9. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

Had one lined up, but it should keep for a little while. That one's a little tough, though. Fairly generic merchant of very approximately ten thousand tons. Maybe somebody can make something of the funnel colors, but I don't recognize them. I for one would gladly take a hint.

10. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

I'll believe it could be Kormoran. Of the Hifskreuzern she seems to have about the most similar silhouette.

11. CPL Punishment

CPL Punishment Member

Correct.

I've two other quiz ships available if you're willing

12. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

Only if you get the next one right, CPL. ;-)

Our next victim is this lovely lady. (Made a model of her not too long ago. Quite proud of it.)

View attachment 13137

Attached Files:

13. CPL Punishment

CPL Punishment Member

Could that be the Japanese seaplane tender that failed to anchor at French Frigate Shoals in June 1942, thus failing to launch the scouts for Pearl Harbor, and thus failing to reveal the departure of the USN carriers, thus leading to fatal Japanese blunders at Midway? (For the want of a nail...)

Oops. I just remembered that Operation K involved a sub.

14. Takao

Takao Ace

Kamikawa Maru. Probably a pre-war photo. IIRC, sometime before the war she would be fitted with catapults and her usual early war aircraft compliment would be "Petes" and "Jakes", later A6M2-Ns and "Petes".

Yes, she was a beautiful ship until she met the USS Scamp in 1943.

15. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

Indeed, Takao, that's correct. That didn't last long, but I suppose seaplane tender was fairly self evident.

This is a little off topic, but here's my own rendition of same:

View attachment 21407

Not perfect, but maybe not too bad for a block of plastic an inch and a half long.

Anyway, the floor is yours, Mr. Takao.

Attached Files:

16. Takao

Takao Ace

Well, to tell the truth, my first thought was that it was one of the Japanese armed Merchant cruisers that was later converted. But, the masts were slightly off.

BTW, nice minature.

Let's stay with the Asiatic theme(might be misleading)

Attached Files:

17. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

Amiral Charner. Wasn't immediately sure, (thought she might have been Bougainville) but I believe I found a match.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiral_Charner_(PG_81)

Not a bad little sloop, it seems. Interesting career. Wasn't aware the Vichy ships interred in Indochina ever fought anyone, though I suppose it does help how Siam ended up on the Axis side of things. You learn something new every day.

18. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

I'm pretty confident of that last one, so with Takao's blessing I'll post the next one. This is a variation on the "I just built that" theme. In this case I built her sister, but I think this photograph is more clear:

View attachment 13142

Not too difficult. I'll even leave the giant hint in the picture

And if Takao come in and says I'm wrong we can just ignore that for now.

Good luck, everyone. Hope it's a fun one.

Attached Files:

19. Takao

Takao Ace

SymphonicPoet,

Your confidence is 100% justified! Got it in one!

Guess I should have checked Wiki first:(

20. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

If it makes you feel better, Takao, I found it leafing through a copy of Jane's. I tend to use a combination of paper and internet resources and some ships are still hard to find. I thought that one was going to be tricky, but Jane's had a photo of a class member and google helped me with the rest. Half the time I grab the photos I use from wikimedia, since at least then I can usually verify that they're public domain.

Anyway, I really was glad you picked it. Might not have learned about the ship otherwise. I hope my selection proves half as interesting.