Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Named canteen cup found at Battlefield

Discussion in 'Battlefield Relics' started by Skipper, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

On August 14th 1944, Germans launched an anti partisan operation in the forest of Lorris , between Orleans and Montargis. Several convoys had been attacked and several hostages had been shot. A few SOE agents and 50 Resistants had been spotted in the forest. They even had a parachuted Jeep and several radios and even had a rescued American fighter pilot with them. When some of them were eventually surounded by the Germans, the men from the last escaping truck jumped from it with a machine gun, blew up the first German truck and fired like until their last bullets and were eventually killed.

This cup was found by a kid , only a few weeks ago. He had no idea what it was , except it was a relic and sold it to me at a local fair (one mile from the battlefield) for one euro . It was old covered with earth and flat as a pancake (possibly a truck from the convoy had ran over it) . I managed to clean it and give its original shape back . Paintings and engravings are original. I have just gently unfolded the aluminium and washed it.

The name on it is Brinckmann (or Bruckmann ) . Initials on the bottom are W. B. and the cup is a M1938 model.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kai-Petri and AndyPants like this.
  2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Very cool, Skipper. I don't collect, but that is a neat find.

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Too bad I haven't taken a picture of it when it wa sall flat and dirty, but I really wanted to know whether it could be saved or not. This is a picture of it on a complete German canteen , so you can see the whole thing.

[​IMG]

4. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Great job getting the cup back into shape

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I got it with back in shape with pices of wood from various sizes. The risk was to perforate the aluminium and /or to loose the paint, but patience is the key and I did a pretty good job, I was helped with the last details by a freidn who has better tools.