Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Napola and Sophie Scholl

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Kai-Petri, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Jus´t watched the Napola film and I think the movie is great in showing what life could be in there, then again at times I thought that even we had it harder in our army so they could have pushed it a little further in the film.

The end was a bit too naive, I think. The boys are ordered to hunt down Russian POW´s who
    escaped and they see when the POW´s are shot after being arrested. This is too much for one of them who commits suicide and his friend gets out of the NAPOLA by losing an important boxing match which brings disgrace to his school. The movie ends.

The movie was ok, but the end was too simple and really lowered the level of the movie a whole deal.

3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Sophie Scholl The last days

Just watched it through.

It´s ok, based on the interrogation reports that have been made public recently, at least according to the director of the film. The film is rather a "big show" for Sophie herself as she gets to speak alot and makes her look like Jeanne d´Arc.

BTW, lately in the films the SD and Gestapo have turned into softies, I see. They might hit the table with their fist but not much else. Also when they hear about the cruelties in the Ostfront they seem shocked....

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Sophie Scholl: Student who resisted Hitler and inspires Germany

Her name is not widely known outside Germany, but Sophie Scholl is an iconic figure in her native country and her story is extraordinary.

This weekend many will commemorate the 100th anniversary of the birth of a young woman who famously stood up to Adolf Hitler and paid for it with her life.

Her resistance is retold countless times in books, films and plays. And it continues to inspire people today.

There were just six members of the "White Rose" group, originally founded by Sophie's brother Hans Scholl and his friend Alexander Schmorell. They were joined by Sophie, Christoph Probst and Willi Graf, and by one of their professors, Kurt Huber.

Supported by a network of friends and supporters, they printed and distributed leaflets, encouraging citizens to resist the Nazi regime, denouncing the murder of Jewish people and demanding an end to the war.

"We won't be silenced," read one, "we are your bad conscience, the White Rose won't leave you in peace."

The group produced their sixth pamphlet at the beginning of 1943.

She and her brother were interrogated and, after a show trial, sentenced to death. They refused to betray the rest of the group but the authorities tracked them down anyway. Within a few months the friends had all been executed.

On the morning that she went to the guillotine, Sophie, aged 21, said:

"Such a fine, sunny day, and I have to go... What does my death matter, if through us, thousands of people are awakened and stirred to action?"

5. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

I did see that one. The subtitles were literal translations, and as you say, from transcripts. But I enjoyed it.