Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Nayy Dept Press Release

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by SM Baker, Nov 10, 2018 at 3:24 PM.

1. SM Baker

SM Baker New Member

Greetings from Massachusetts,
    I am researching my grandfather's Naval service from 1942-45. He was wounded in the air raid at Bari Harbor, Italy on Dec 2, 1943, gunner's mate aboard the John Bascom. As many of you know, one of the ships sunk that night, the John Harvey, was carrying 100 tons of mustard gas. The Harvey exploded during the attack, releasing the poison into the air and water, killing countless Naval personnel. My grandfather, Reginald J Baker, received the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart, as well as a citation for heroism. Though seriously wounded, he swam next to the only lifeboat to a jetty, assuring those with greater injuries were safely conveyed in the lifeboat.
    I hope to get some help directing me to where I can obtain a copy of a Navy Dept press release from Aug 10, 1944, which was titled, "Heroism of Armed Guardsmen Told in Citations." The press release was sourced in "Unsung Sailors," by Justin F Gleichauf (1990).
    Any info gratefully appreciated!

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana WW2|ORG Editor

Have you looked at the Naval History and Heritage Command?

3. SM Baker

SM Baker New Member

Hi Opana,
    First off, thank you for your service.
    I am wholly ignorant of archival research in the realm of the military. Is the Naval History and Heritage Command a department I could contact?
    Add: I just did a search for Naval History and Heritage Command. I actually have been looking on that website. I just had no idea where to start. I did a search on that site for "press releases" and "Bari" with no luck

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 5:10 PM
  4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana WW2|ORG Editor

5. SM Baker

SM Baker New Member

Thank you for this. I sent an email to the archives department trying to find that press release.

OpanaPointer likes this.