Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Nazi gold, and the plundering of Europe...

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Schwartzvogel, Mar 21, 2008.

1. skunk works

skunk works Ace

Neutral yet sympathetic does raise warning flags. I know they interned Allied planes who flew/landed in their airspace. I wonder if there was a double standard when Axis airplanes did the same?

Interesting article. I've read it (something like it) somewhere before, and the same about the Japanese loot.

2. Schwartzvogel

Schwartzvogel Member

Heres something else I`ve found that I thought might be of interst...

Brazil opens suspected Nazi bank vault

The Brazilian authorities have opened a bank vault in Sao Paulo, containing more than four million dollars worth of property believed to have been stolen from victims of the Nazis.
    The vault, belonging to a German named as Albert Blume who arrived in Brazil before the Second World War, was found to contain cash, gold bars and jewellery -- and his diary.
    He's alleged to have acted as a banker for Nazis who fled from Germany to South America.
    But members of his family deny that, and claim the fortune belongs to them. The Brazilian commission investigating the country's role in sheltering Nazi fugitives is planning to run scientific tests to try to establish ownership.

3. Twitch

Twitch Member

All I can add is that the post war organizational status for wealth was real. Here's a bit from an article I did a long while ago that touches on post-war wealth-

'Careful plans and elaborate webs were organized to keep the new Bundt going. Hidden gold and jewels have been turned up since 1946 when Baron Helmut von Hummel, aide to Martin Bormann, was found with seven million dollars worth of gold coins in a suitcase. Hell of a retirement plan! Other Nazis have been caught with huge amounts of gold since and ingots have been found in Austria, the Nazi jumping-off point to Switzerland, where they went to Egypt, on to South America and "points beyond," it is said. Spinna and Odessa are real enough.

The Nazis that did not get their records cleaned by the US assumed false identities in Germany where their subversion continues. Argentine was and is a hotbed of Nazi sympathy. Mengele, Eichmann and others disappeared into South America. It is probably more than coincidental that as early as 1958 a strong Nazi group was principle in Medillin, Colombian crime. Were they the founders/investors behind today's drug cartel?'

4. Schwartzvogel

Schwartzvogel Member

Cheers twitch.... hadn`t heard about Bormann`s suitcase before so I did a search on him on the net, found this...

Escape to Argentina?
    Juan Peron, leader of Argentina, set aside more than 10,000 blank passports and identity cards for Nazi fugitives. Bormann was at the top of the list. Bormann directed a German submarine operation whose purpose was to ship treasure to Argentina. Nazi records show that as much as 550,000 ounces of gold, 3,500 ounces of platinum and 4,638 carats of diamonds, hundreds of works of art as well as millions in gold marks, pounds, dollars and Swiss francs were sent aboard six U-boats to Argentina. Those boats supposedly landed along the coast in 1945 and the Argentine Government stills classifies the interrogations of the crew members. [10]

5. katanaguy

katanaguy recruit

Truth or Untruth?.....This is a very long story so I will try to shorten it as best I can. I was told by another that my former best friend's father ( an American soldier during Germany in WWII) stole an incredible amount of German/Nazi gold while actually being assigned to help guard it while stationed in Germany during WWII. I personally knew this family better than most anyone except just afew who were older than me and I can attest to all the ownings of assets He somehow got it back to the states...don't know how and began liquidating very secrectly. His dad is now deceased, but the father's best friend is the one who told me this story approx 9 yrs ago after this man passed away. My friend's father was not at all from a family with any money at all ( he was college educated-degree in Accounting)...yet approx 5-6 years after the war-in early 1950's he paid cash for a home in a most very exclusive area...bought a new lincoln & cadillac and other exquisite items. In the early 1960's he continued to have high end new autos allthe time...bought an expensive tract of land & developed into one of the most exclusive and new subdivisions in my area....bought a diamond-just the stone valued at over $50k....bought very expensive watches-one was a $$$$$$ Patek-Phillipe watch, he also had other super expensive jewelry for his wife and himself-it was unbelievable....he traveled all over the world and in the U.S..had very $$$$ time share condo in Hawaii....he bought all his clothes from a store in Florida that was considered one of the most expensive clothiers in all of the U.S. He owned other properties, and some bars.

Also in the 50's and early 60's he got involved in politics-was a state delagate in a couple of presidential elections, was a mason and well known throughout my area well. He was likes and yet hated by many.

In the 50's and 60's he bought hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of blue chip stocks that come the 80's and 90's was worth an astronomical fortune.

The person who told me that ALL OF THIS WEALTH was DIRECTLY attributed to the outright stealing of gold from Germany/Nazi's while he was a captain in the war in Germany. Supposedly this man was in collaberation with a couple of fellow soldiers on this heist.

6. katanaguy

katanaguy recruit

Okay I posted about this yesterday, but I don't know if this site timed out on me or what and my entire text composition did not make it on the site so I am going to try to re-post all of it here, here it is:
    Truth or Untruth?.....This is a very long story so I will try to shorten it as best I can- & it will still be long. I was told by another ( approx 9 yrs ago) that my former best friend's father ( an American soldier stationed Germany in WWII-his rank was a CAPTAIN-& referred herein after as the "heister") stole an incredible amount of German/Nazi gold while actually being assigned to help guard it while stationed in Germany during WWII. I personally knew this man & his family better than most anyone else did except just a few who were older than me and I can attest to all the ownings of assets I talk about here. After the war I was told that he somehow got the gold back to the states...don't know how and supposedly began liquidating it very secrectly. This "heister" is now deceased, but the "heister's best friend is the one who told me this story approx 9 yrs ago & after this man passed away. The man who told me about this incredible gold theft was a very very if not best friend of him-they have known each other for decades. I know this person too ( herein referred to as "story teller"-NOT a person of deceit just so you know)) and this "storyteller" has always seemed honest & credible to me and is respected where I live-he is still alive and now approx in his 80's. When he was telling me this story about his friends heist he just said it was time that the truth came out as he knew that I had known this man's family too for many years. My former best friend's father-the heister- was not at all from a family with any money at all-in fact he grew up poor ( he was however, college educated-degree in Accounting and did start a relatively small town bookeeping business which began in late 1940's or very early 50's.)...yet approx 5-6 years after the war in early 1950's-just a few years post WWII he paid cash for a home in a most very very exclusive area at the time...bought a new lincoln & cadillac-with cash and bought other exquisite items.-from a relatively new and small bookeeping business. In the early 1960's he continued to have very high end new autos all the time...bought an expensive tract of land & developed into one of the most exclusive and new subdivisions in my area and for example....bought a gorgeous diamond ring for himself-just the stone itself valued at over $50,000-in the mid 1960's!-I have seen it- his 2nd wife now today has it....bought very expensive watches-two were $$$$$$ Patek-Phillipe watches, he also had other super expensive jewelry for his wife and himself-it was unbelievable....he traveled extensively all over the world with his family beginning in late 50's and also in the U.S.....stayed a month each year in Hawaii....he bought all his clothes from a store in Florida that was considered one of the most expensive clothiers in all of the world at the time. He owned other properties too,- some bars, other land,etc.

Also in the early 50's and early 60's he got involved in politics-was a state delagate in a couple of presidential elections, was a mason and well known throughout my area well. He was liked and yet also hated by many. He could be very crude at times and extremely charming as well and had a bold ego that showed all the time.

I did know later myself that in the 50's and 60's he bought hundreds & hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of blue chip stocks that he held on to and then came the 80's and 90's was worth an astronomical true fortune- all from his "cover"? as a bookeeper in a small town. This is where (stocks) he truly made his huge fortune-but again he had to have the money from somewhere to buy all these stocks in the first place during the earl 1950's & 1960's & COULD IT HAVE BEEN FROM THE SECRET LIQUIDATION OF STOLEN GERMAN GOLD THAT NOW MADE HIM "LEGIT" in the eyes of the unsuspecting IRS & U.S. Govt if the story of his heist has merit?

The "storyteller" told me that ALL OF HIS WEALTH was DIRECTLY attributed to the outright pure theft of gold from Germany/Nazi's while he was a captain in the war in Germany. Supposedly, this man was in collaberation with just very few fellow soldiers on this heist & I was told one of them was an ex soldier from Texas who supposedly became publicly known for his heist-no way to verify this I guess. I asked this "story teller" how much in gold value that his friend and my friends father had stolen in WWII Germany and he said he was not told how much, except to say a fortune in gold.

I remember when I myself was younger and thinking how could my best friend's father be sooo very wealthy from just a bookeeping business in the small town we grew up in. And now many years later and after being told this story by one of this man's best friends many years later perhaps now could I know the answer to this puzzle that I had often wondered about?..... and yet maybe he was legit all along. I am perplexed.

The "storyteller" who told me this gold heist story about his friend said he was told about all this by the very person who did it approx 20 yrs after WWII in Germany ended and after all the gold was liquidated so he could not be ever tied to it. When the "heister" died he was approx 75 yrs old in the mid 1990's and left millions to his children who I still personally know and I really think they never had any knowledge of what their father supposedly did many years ago....just my guess though.

I also personally knew the "heister" quite well in the past because, again,his son was my best friend for many years when we were younger. This "heister" was very brilliant and always had an "awe of presence" about him for as long as I knew him , so now I don't know really what to think about all this. Something just tells me that there just may be something to all this somehow...someway?

Anyone else out there ever hear about someone else you or someone else knew that was directly implicated or involved with WWII theft and or plundering on a very large scale? I would love to hear your story. Also, from what I have said here -on this forum do you think there could be any possible truth to what I was told. Please let me know and thank you to those of you who read this. I am looking for possible closure for all this-for myself, but to be honest I do not feel I will ever know the truth as all this was so very long ago.....and no I am not a conspiracy or a rumourmonger type of person.