Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"Nazi Grandma Sent to Prison"

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by KJ Jr, May 8, 2018.

1. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

2. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

Although I disagree with her, I would think that the freedom of speech would allow one to say/think whatever they believe in. The rest of us do not have to pay any attention to her.

KTK

JJWilson likes this.
  3. lwd

lwd Ace

Germany has some laws restricting free speech in regards to things concerning Nazi Germany, I can see why they did it but I'm far from convinced it's the right approach. I think aggressive ridicule is a better response to deniers than driving them under the rug.

von Poop likes this.
  4. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Eh...I'm on the fence on this one. Throwing her in jail is an odd option. Though I believe she thought due to her advanced age she would be forgotten, she was mistaken. Her beliefs are despicable and I'm sure her husband was no peach given he was a card carrying member.

5. harolds

harolds Member

If she's 89, then she was born around 1929. That means she was four when Hitler came to power and 16 when the war ended. So she was immersed in the nazi ideology during her most formative years. It seems some German youngsters imbibed that horrible crap more deeply than others but it was a powerful force in all young Germans of that era. It was like a drug and like a drug addict, she's in deep denial. If she realized that the Holocaust was real then she'd have to recognize that her entire life was a lie. At this late date in her life, I doubt that's going to happen.

KJ Jr likes this.
  6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I think Germany has a law regarding Holocaust denial. That's what she was convicted of.

7. harolds

harolds Member

I know that. I'm just saying that this goes deeper than her trying to stay out of prison. I suppose they have to send her there, otherwise all the neo-nazis will get the idea that the law has no teeth. There is kind of a delicious irony here that she's going to prison for saying things the government says she can't, all the while defending a regime that routinely did just that to thousands of Germans--and a lot worse.

8. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

The article tells she wrote in a right wing paper denying holocaust etc. Seems like more than just denying the holocaust to me.

9. Wayne Allen

Wayne Allen New Member

It looks like they gave her quite a few chances to avoid prison.

10. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Very well said. She's still culpable, but her past didn't help her development at all.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  11. White Flight

White Flight Member

Agreed.

12. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Good riddance. There are 7-8 neo-Nazi's running for the US Congress this year and while they probably (I hope) will not win a seat showing pity for these kind of people only encourages these wingnuts.