Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Need Help Deciphering Final Pay Work Sheet

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Fish, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Fish

Fish recruit

I just received my grandfathers final pay work sheet and I need help figuring it out. It says he was stationed at Ft. Barrancas under HQ SCU 1445 does anyone know what that command is? I also need help deciphering his discharge codes they are CG RR1-1 DFMO AR 615-365 15 DEC 1944. I know he was in the Army and I have a picture of him as a Technician Fifth Grade with a patch on his left arm that is a number two with the top half dark (I say dark because it is a black and white photo so I have no idea what actual color it was) and the bottom half white. My aunt thinks that he was wounded in France and returned home soon after. If anyone can help provide me with more info on my grandfather it would be greatly appreciated. I know very little about him since he died in the 1960's and his service record was destroyed in the 1970's fire. I would upload the file of the final pay worksheet but it will not allow me to upload it in JPG or PDF format. If you have any advice for that it would also be appreciated.

Thank you very much for your help,

AE2 (AW) Salmon

2. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Comanding General Release/Reorganisation group 1-1 Discharged From MIlitary Obligation in accordance with Army Regulation 615-365 of Dec 1944 1944. AR 615-365 is the regulation which gave the government the uthority to release soldiers from active duty once their obligation had been fulfilled and their services were no longer necessary.

The insignia is that f the US 2nd Army:

[​IMG]

( Second United States Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

Welcome Aboard and I hope that helps; at least it should get you started.
    Brad

Biak likes this.
  3. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude Patron  

The patch with the big #2 on it was the 2nd US Army, a training command that stayed stateside during the war. As for Fort Barrancas (located in the vicinity of Pensacola, Florida), the fort was used as a signal station, small arms range, and storage area by the Army until 1946, when newer weapon technology made coastal defense an obsolete concept. On April 15, 1947, Fort Barrancas was deactivated, and the U.S. Navy incorporated the site into Naval Air Station Pensacola.

I've visited Fort Barrancas several years ago while riding around the Pensacola NAS. Not much of it is left, but if you went there, you could spend an hour or so walking around taking a look. It is entirely within the NAS grounds and well kept.

source: wiki

Biak and formerjughead like this.
  4. Fish

Fish recruit

Thank you guys for your help. Is it safe to say that he must have only trained with the 2nd Army and then been transfered to a command that was forward deployed? If I ever get a chance to go to NAS Pensacola I will have to check out his old post. To bad I went to "A" and "C" school in NAS Jax and not NAS Pensacola.

5. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

I think that would be a safe assumption. He very well could have spent sometime stateside as an instructor or cadre; it's hard to tell without seeing his discharge papers it looks like a DD214.

6. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude Patron  

It would be safe to say that he trained with the 2nd Army, or was assigned to a unit that was subordinate to 2nd Army before transferring to a regular TO & E unit and going overseas. If you could post some more documents about his overseas service, we could possibly figure it out for you.

7. Fish

Fish recruit

I wish I had some more documentation for you guys to look at. All that NPRC was able to provide me was his final pay work sheet and my family knows very little about his time in the Army. Thank you guys once again for your help.

8. Buten42

Buten42 Member Patron  

Many returning veterans had their separation papers recorded with the Auditors office at their local Court House.
    If you know where he was when he returned it might be worth a try.

9. foreverlynch

foreverlynch Member

AR 615-365 was the "for the good of the service" discharge. It was used to DEROS soldiers at the end of the Korean War and Vietnam conflict. It was used for general discharges up into the '80's, but has since been replaced. I have not been able to locate the verbage of the regulation, but you may find information at the Army's online resource linked below.
    The Cg reference to rr-1 sounds like an abbreviation for his re entry code which is a 1. If that is the case then he could have re enlisted whenever he wanted.