Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Need help researching my Grandfather

Discussion in 'Those Who Served' started by AmericanPatriot, Nov 29, 2023.

1. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Man I wish Rich would cover the 5th Air Force ! Of course I'd be dead before he's finished. Maybe concentrate on the New Guinea area ?
    I know, I know, get my rear end going and start pestering Maxwell.

2. AmericanPatriot

AmericanPatriot New Member

I really tthank you guys, if you want to see all the angles I have going I have a forum here, WW2Talk and US Militaria Forums

OpanaPointer likes this.
  3. AmericanPatriot

But yeah, Im almost positive he at least landed on massacre bay, he talked about being sent in summer gear, eggs and streak breakfast, ect. I'll have to have my mom type out all the stories she knows then I can share those and see where we can go from there

4. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

Okay, then almost certainly he would have had to be in the 50th Engineers at the time, either HQ & HQ Company or the 2d Battalion. Then, for some reason he was transferred to the 349th Engineers, perhaps as a consequence of the demotion you mentioned? However, still the best way you are going to track him is through Morning Reports. They will tell you when he joined Company E, 349th Engineers and may tell you from where. Even if it doesn't tell you what unit he came from it will tell you a date, which you can then use to survey the 50th Engineers MR. That will be slightly more complicated since you will need to check the Regimental HQ & HQ Company, 2d Battalion HQ & HQ Company, and Company D, E, and F MR to find him. Once you have though, you will be able to trace back to when he arrived with the 50th and so can do the same exploration of the 110th Engineers. Believe me, persevering in this search is worth it.

5. AmericanPatriot

Thank you again, I think i am getting close to putting a close to a story I've been working on for the past 12 years of my life (Im 23 now, turning 24 this dec 20th) Once I do this for my mom's dad Im going to try the same for my father's dad for he was also in the aleutains and was in Cold Bay, I didnt start with him becuase I know far less becuase he never talked about anything of the war unlike my grandpa George.

Anyway, thank you guys so much, I wouldnt be this far into the project if it wasnt for all of you.

6. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I have a toast, "To absent friends". Every November 11th and every time I hear of a veteran passing. The other way I honor them is to help folks like you. Cheers.

PS, I celebrate Scotland's contribution as well, but only one bottle at a time. :D

7. AmericanPatriot

God bless Scotland, my great grandfather (The day of the grandfather im researching) Came to Highland Kansas from the Scottish Highlands, Highland Kansas is actually named in his honor, the Gibson family were referred to as Highlanders

8. AmericanPatriot

So, I heard from golden arrow, its way out of my price range.. They suggest the silver plan but even the bronze plan is out of my reach.. Welp, I need to think things out now.

Attached Files:

9. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

An alternative would be to go yourself if you live close to St. Louis.

10. AmericanPatriot

I live in south centeral Kansas, just an half hour from Ponca Oklahoma, St Louis is pretty far from me and I cant afford the gas or plane ticket, let alone hotel if thats needed

11. AmericanPatriot

So, seems I need to resort to making phone calls, Maybe the VA has something to offer, I also have yet to try getting the Kansas National Guard on the phone (I have tried calling the national guard but yeah) I'll just keep doing what I can and see if Veteran E Records can help me again and maybe see if they cant at least pull out some more documents out of thin air for me, mostlikely not possible though.
    I'll keep fighting on, I'll kind something more out.

12. OpanaPointer

Go Google. "349th Engineers" got some hits. I would dig deeper but today is not a sitting up day.

13. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

OpanaPointer and RichTO90 like this.
  14. AmericanPatriot

I heard back from the national Archives about his medals, but its missing stuff I know he should have like campange medlas and his Purple heart.[​IMG]

15. OpanaPointer

You can get some replacements on many military bases. You'll have to explain your intent and show evidence but they usually don't put up a fuss. Call ahead and speak with the public affairs office on that base, they handle most civilian interface missions or know who to pass you along to.

16. AmericanPatriot

Issue is, that document doesnt show everything he should have, and sadly I dont have proof to show them otherwise, If i only had his seperation papers this would be a load easier but sadly they are probably rotting in some attic somewhere (If anyone in my family has his records or medals, they arent talking.) And it sticks becuase what the National records says are his medals are what everyone got so its kinda meh to me, I'd rather not push for replacements until I know what he had if you nkow what I mean.

17. OpanaPointer

I may have given you the wrong impression. When I went to get a new salad bar I rattled off the ribbons I wanted and the clerk pulled them out of the little drawers. You would need some robust documentation for an MOH, but for campaign medals not so much. If they refuse any particular one it's a red flag to dig into the records. Patience will be needed, you're going to be dealing with the government in some fashion. God speed and following seas.

Come back anytime, we honor our fellow spirits through this kind of thing. And by drinking in their honor. (Or at the drop of a hat.) Cheers.

18. AmericanPatriot

What about for a Purple heart or Good conduct medal? I know for a fact he had a PH and might of had a GCM

19. OpanaPointer

Depends on the command. Most take your word for it. Up to that magic line, of course. I don't know where they draw it these days.

However, Amazon has some medals for sale online. You'd pay for the medal wherever you get it, they ain't free after the first one. Are you considering doing a shadow box?

20. AmericanPatriot

That, and one other thing, one sec and I'll show you