Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Need Help Understanding My Dad's Enlistment Record

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by paulcardin, Jun 3, 2010.

1. paulcardin

paulcardin recruit

I recently found my dad's enlistment record and there are a few things I don't understand.

First, I always thought my dad had been drafted then got married and then shipped out. Did all inductees have an "enlistment record", even though some were drafted and some enlisted?

Secondly, his record shows: Branch: Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA and Branch Code: Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA. Dad did become a Warrant Officer, but that was in 1944. Did the Army designate at enlistment who would eventually become a Warrant Officer? Dad was discharged from service while in New Guinea and his discharge shows as the reason "to accept Warrant Officer commission".

Thirdly, his record shows: Component: Selectees (Enlisted Men). What does that mean?

Thanks for any guidance you can give.

Paul Cardin, Oklahoma City, OK.

2. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

the Branch Immaterial- Warrant Officers just means that warrant officers are included in the group.

The easiest way to tell if he was a draftee or he enlisted is by looking at his service number. Service numbers begining with the number "1" enlisted whereas service numbers beginning with the number "3" were draftees.