Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Need help with helmet identification

Discussion in 'Battlefield Relics' started by David Hyder, Feb 11, 2020.

1. David Hyder

David Hyder New Member

Hello. My father acquired this helmet as a child after WWII from a local fellow in his hometown. My grandfather served in WWII for the U.S. I need help identifying the helmet from someone with more experience. I think its either M35, 40, or 42, from the research I've done. I really cant see the marking #'s well. He tried repainting the emblem as a child. I've included some pics. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

The helmet is a model M42. If you can tell me what the markings/stamps are on the inner skirt of the helmet, then I might be able to give you more information.

3. David Hyder

David Hyder New Member

Thanks for responding. I think its either 67 or 87 on inside rear of helmet. Very hard to see. Thats what I came up with when I looked with flashlight & magnifying glass. I may not be looking at the right place. Thanks.

4. jagdpanther44

Try cleaning the stamp gently with a wet cloth, leave the area wet and then see if that reveals anymore info.

5. David Hyder

David Hyder New Member

These #'s are proving to be challenge. My best guesses are 2287, 2257, ZZ87 or ZZ57. Let me know if those are even remotely close to being correct. I've attached some photos for you to ponder over. I don't see anymore #'s anywhere on it. Thanks again.

Attached Files:

6. jagdpanther44

That will be the lot or production run number and will more than likely be four digits rather than two digits and two letters.

There should also be another stamp consisting of one, two or three letters followed by two numbers eg Q62, ET64, CKL66.

Vereinigte Deutsche Nickelwerke AG, Schwerte (helmet stamp NS) produced a batch of helmets with the 2257 lot number. Other manufacturers could also have used the same sequence of numbers on their helmets but with their own maker code stamp added.

Slipdigit likes this.
  7. David Hyder

David Hyder New Member

I want to say its the 2257 lot #, I just can't be for sure. Going to let some other sets of eyes look at it this weekend to see if they can see something else. I'll keep in contact. As for as the two lightning bolts emblem, is that for sure SS? Thanks.

8. jagdpanther44

Your photos are of poor quality but the decal does appear to be SS.
    However I can't say for sure if the decal is genuine or fake but the SS runes look to be smaller than they should be.

9. David Hyder

David Hyder New Member

I understand. Who should I look for locally for help? Military relic dealer? Thanks again.