Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

need help with research.

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by jasen, Mar 25, 2008.

1. jasen

jasen recruit

I'm doing reasearch on my grandfather. Does anyone have any info on the 356th AAA searchlight bn. or on the 452nd amphibious truck co. Durning WWII?

any info will be gratefully appreciated.

2. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran

Jasen

With ref to the above, was this your question and did you have any joy from the response ?

Ron

3. jasen

jasen recruit

Thanks Ron for the info. Unfortunately Richard V. Horrell at WW2Connections.com charges for all of the info. But again thanks for trying.

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Jasen,

You're probably going to hard pressed to find much about these two small, non-divisional formations.

As far as the 356th is concerned, all I can find is dates and location when it was formed and disbanded and four movement dates, from the US to Guadalcanal to the Philipines and back to the US.

I've not been able to find any mention of the 452nd Amphibious Truck Co.

5. jasen

jasen recruit

Thanks for trying to find info for me. The only reason I'm trying so hard to find info on those units is because I'm trying to do reasearch on my deceased grandfather. The only paper work I have on him has thoseunits listed.

6. Big_Red_One

Big_Red_One Member

I would suggest reading up on the actions that happened in the areas where he was sent and then thinking about what those units did as a job and you might be able to paint a picture in you mind as to decipher how it all worked I would think that they were supply guys who manned the search lights for aircraft while people unloaded the DUKWS they prolly manned airbases also, assited in transpo of material and troops and I can garentee they got strafed and bombed and attacked.

7. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

8. Big_Red_One

Big_Red_One Member

the DD 214 is helpfull if it is complete and seperation papers they will say which unit hew was discharged from..

Make note I was lucky I have all my gradfathers records he saved them unilke many.SO I had an advantage.

9. SGTCCC

SGTCCC New Member

Jasen, My father was in the 452nd amphibious trucking company. He was at the following; Guadalcanal, Bougainville, Pelileu Islands, Battle of New Guinea, Leyte Philippines, and Cebu in the Philippines. He was a Staff sergeant. What he told me that the company was comprized of 100 men. He also told me by wars end only five of the orginal 100 were left. others were either killed in action or wounded and shipped back to the states.

10. Leo Hajdrowski

Leo Hajdrowski New Member

I just ran across your post from 11 years ago! My father was with the 356th AAA Searchlight Battalion during World War II. He was with them from December 1943 through December 1945. He operated, repaired, and maintained the Ground Radar Equipment. As part of the Southern Philippines Campaign he said he was in Leyte, Luzon, and Mindanao. He mentioned Guadalcanal but I’m not sure if the 356th was there. His DD214 shows the years and unit. If you research those areas of the Philippines for the period your grandfather was there you might get a better understanding of what actions were going on at the time and what Infantry Units were in the area.
    I hope this helps a little. Good luck. I was with the First Infantry Division in Vietnam in 1969.