Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Need Some Info

Discussion in 'Post-World War 2 Armour' started by Choro_Ex, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Choro_Ex

Choro_Ex New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well, i'm a new member here. Let me introduce myself. My name is Choro_Ex from Indonesia. I'm currently doing some On the Job training at Army base which doing Retrofits on BTR-40 APC. We replace the fabric roof with ARMOX steel plates and add some turret (Got a picture here :smok: ) But I got a problem.

[​IMG]

Did any of you got any infos about material they use to made the BTR? Spec, name etc... Nobody here know about the material, so we try anything to join them with the new ARMOX plate. You're help will be welcomed...

Oh yeah, any of you got any technical three side drawing of BTR 40 too... Or knew where I could get it?

2. PanzerProfile

PanzerProfile New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hi Choro_ex
    Welcome to the forum. Hop e you'll stay around al little longer. I'm afraid I personally can't help you with the problem, but maybe one of our members can.
    But what I wanted to know is: is it correct that you are really, personally working on this vehicle? May I know for what purpose?

3. Choro_Ex

Choro_Ex New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well, I'm a last year Mechanical Engineering Student. Currently I'm doing some OJT at Army base. For my thesis I would like to analize the welding structure of Armor steel, and I pick the BTR-40 as my object. The problem is, nobody here knows the armor steel they use to made that. There were some trouble when they try to weld the brand new ARMOX steel to the old Russian steel. The welded joints were... say peeled off.

Well, I could test that at our material lab, and perhaps thats what I'll do...

Okay, As an Introduction, here are the pictures of All Indonesian Armored Vehicle... :bang:

[​IMG]
    Alvis Saladin

[​IMG]
    Daimler Ferret. (Note, I've seen some Ferret with .30 calibre bullet hole.. :D )

[​IMG]
    Alvis Saracen

[​IMG]
    Cadillac Gage V-150 Commando

[​IMG]
    Cadillac Gage Commando Ranger

[​IMG]
    Ahmad Yani APC (Locally Made APC...)

[​IMG]
    BTR-40 Retrofit (Note: People here jokingly said that BTR-40 stands for "Besi Tua Rusia" or Russian Scrap Iron... We received the scraps and repair it to almost new BTR-40.)

[​IMG]
    BRDM (and BRDM stands for "Barang Rongsokan Dari Moskow" or Piece of Junk from Moscow. Same as BTR-40, a lot of them are in scrap yard nowaday waiting to be Retrofitted...)

[​IMG]
    BTR-80

[​IMG]
    Panhard VAB

[​IMG]
    Panhard VBL

There are at least 3 other Indonesian made wheeled APC, No picture of them available in the net. Do you know somewhere to upload the pictures?

Okay next the Tracked Vehicle

[​IMG]
    Scorpion 90

[​IMG]
    AMX-13 (105 mm Cannon)

[​IMG]
    AMX-13 (76 mm Cannon)

[​IMG]
    BMD-2

[​IMG]
    PT-76 Amphibious Tank

[​IMG]
    BMP-2

[​IMG]
    Stormer APC

[​IMG]
    AMX VCI

[​IMG]
    BTR-50 PK

Well, that's all of Indonesian Armored Vehicle. Most of them operated by Army except the BMDs, BMPs, BTR-80s, PT-76s, and BTR-50PK were operated by Marines... Sorry, but not all of them are the photograph of Indonesian owned vehicle... Thats all i can get...

Nice to be here... :D

4. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Nice to have you here, and your pictures.
    Indonesia has quite a mixed bag of equipment...

5. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hate to be picky, but that's a BTR-152, too many wheels for a -40.
    Oli