Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New BoB movie out re. Polish fighter pilots

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by harolds, Sep 3, 2019.

1. harolds

harolds Member

Titled "Mission of Honor", it's streamed on HULU and stars among others, Milo Gibson (son of Mel). I would rate it as "pretty good". Of course, I have quibbles with some things but overall, does a good job portraying the role of Polish pilots during the BoB, their problems with the RAF establishment, and their betrayal by Britain after the war.

POSITIVES: Shows the contribution made by Polish pilots. The aircraft (Hurris, Bf 109Es, and Do 17s) were spot on. Mostly historically accurate with one major exception. Especially good was how the RAF had a hard time accepting them as "real pilots".

NEGATIVES: The film puts forward the idea that the Brits were getting their butts kicked by the LW until the Poles came in and won the battle for them. Unless you knew the history beforehand, it was hard at times understanding who was doing what in the air, even though in most of the battle scenes the pilots had their O2 masks hanging loose. Quibble: when the Do 17s were being attacked in the air from the rear, the fuel explosion started in the very front tip of the glazed nose and went backwards. Speaking of Do 17s, didn't the Germans use other bombers besides this model in the battle?;)

Overall, a decent movie that deserved a better director.

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Heinkel He 111 and the Junkers 88 - The Do17 was fast in its early years...but like the Blenheim (which was considered super fast when it first came out) fighter tech caught up and it became "slow"...

3. harolds

harolds Member

Yes, I know. I was commenting on a movie that got everything right as far as planes go except only one type of bomber is shown. Sort of like the He 111s in the movie, "Battle of Britain".

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Well the 111s were used because they were the only Luftwaffe aircraft still around in numbers...Spanish AF, which im sure you know.
    If the movie covers the early part of BoB I would include the Do17...until it was withdrawn (though not completely) in favour of the 111s and in particular the 88s.

5. belasar

belasar Court Jester Staff Member

Strange we have two movie's on 303 Squadron, this and '303 Squadron'.