Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New e-Book on Kaiten

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Gliderboy, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Gliderboy

Gliderboy New Member

Similar in layout to The Miraculous Toepedo Squadron by Juzo Mori, this book tells it exactly how it was in the words of one who was there. History in its purest form.

This is the autobiography of Yutaka Yokota, one of the few kaiten crewmen to survive the war. Never before translated into English in its entirety, this thoughtful exposé gives readers an intimate look at the dark and disturbing world of the most sinister weapon of WWII, the kaiten human torpedo.

https://www.amazon.com/Kaiten-Special-Attack-Group-Stolen-ebook/dp/B01MTOGWPE/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1480288192&sr=1-1&keywords=Kaiten+Special+Attack+Group+by+Yutaka+Yokota

2. Takao

Takao Ace

Curious...

Yokota did a book with Joseph D. Harrington several decades ago, and republished under several times under various titles over the years.

Is this a "new" translation? How does it differ, if at all, from his previous book?

3. Gliderboy

Gliderboy New Member

The book Yokota collaborated on with Harrington ('Suicide Submarine!') was based on a translation by Masaru Fujimoto, an editor of the Mainichi Daily News. It was written and edited to appeal to a popular audience. Having said that, I think he did an excellent job.

The more recent edition (which I translated) is considerably longer, more complete and has, according to Yokota's postscript, certain errors corrected. In this definitive edition Yokota writes extensively on the personal lives of his comrades, life in Japan during the war and much more. Those readers interested not only in the war but also in Japanese society and culture will find this a very different kind of war story.

In short, mine is a pure translation of Yokota's complete and updated autobiography.

4. Takao

Takao Ace

Thanks for the update. Glad to see that it is not just a rehash of the previous book. I'll have to check it out.

5. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Moved to more appropriate forum.