Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New F 1 news, seriously, well partially........................

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by gtblackwell, Sep 13, 2016.

1. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Well-Known Member Patron  

Liberty Media, a somewhat behind the scenes American media giant has just purchased the F 1 program from the holding company that owns it. They had bought it from Bernie Ecclestone who had control.

Weirdly F 1 is not that popular in the US but multination money is just as good or better. Liberty paid about 4 billion for it plus assumed it;s debt of 3.5 B. Stranger, the holding company kept Bernie to run it and Liberty has ask him to stay on for 2-3 years to transition. He is far older that I and I would not hire me due to age.

I have all but quit watching it out of lack of competition , which Mercedes will win this week ? etc. I think it needs a drastic overhaul but retaining Bernie probably means more of the same. Can't really blame Mercedes, they have lots of capitol, smart enough to hire the Brits to design and build their cars which they manage and pay two top drivers 50M each to drive . Ferrari severed their F! team from financial support by the home company, it has to make/raise it's own money and though energy drinks are popular , Red Bull, F 1 is expensive . I have no clue as to an answer or they would hire me :)

This does not sound good for the future of F 1 to my limited imagination.

Gaines

Any flawed thinking , misconceptions, falsehoods or mispokeness ( Just coined that monstrosity) are purely the product of my over worked brain. I just thought this very odd.

2. OhneGewehr

OhneGewehr New Member

The problem is: Computers and machines are dominating Formula 1, drivers and designers are not the most important keys to victory any more. Back in the 90ies, strategy was a crucial aspect to win a race, and strategy was developped by the team manager and the driver. Now they are more or less slaves of a calculated race scedule.

3. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Well-Known Member Patron  

I have to agree with you. Use to be mechanics in the pits, they are still there but just as many guys sitting a screens reading telemetry. Honda started the idea of sending real time data by satellite back to Japanese for analyse while the race was going on. I fear it has gotten worst.. . I just thought of something, with all the driverless car research the driver could be eliminated and the races a computer game run at the factory !!!

I think Liberty Media bought something they do not fully understand nor does the audience. In a few years "Formula I, the Video Game "

4. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

I for one, welcome computers to take over the driving...It would be more exciting (more crashes), but nobody would die.
    The F1 drivers could go back to driving go-carts, and it would still be more exciting compared to current F1. Maybe.

5. OhneGewehr

OhneGewehr New Member

Races without drivers and remote controlled cars already exist. Nobody watches them.

6. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Haven't seen any. Could you provide an example. Cheers.

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

The races ive heard of are either small RCs or The new driverless types racing each other (this done more for R&D than for competition).
    I think a driverless comp could exist if the worlds best machines were in use, including power sliding sections, and jumps...huge jumps...and again taken up by the youth instead of the old dinosaurs who "don't like that fangled stuff!"
    Im interested in the Bernie story...HOW does he own F1? Is the F1 name and concept his? Why cant a rival company take it on?

8. OhneGewehr

OhneGewehr New Member

He bought rights, when everybody thought that racing isn't a big business.
    It was horrendously organized and to be honest, what Formula 1 is today is his effort to a great extend. But i think that he forgot to find a successor.

If you think, you can do it better than him, no one will stop you. There have been numerous attempts to establish an alternative, most of them failed immediatly when it became more than a pipe dream. US Cart series went to Europe for a short time and wasn't successful.