Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New here, hoping I am at the right place...

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Bell, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Bell

Bell Member

I have always been fascinated by history. Because of it, I have delved into my family's past. In it I found out my late grandfather served in the Pacific during WWII. He has an interesting story...
    He comes from the Old Order Amish in Indiana. His father was even a Bishop in the Amish church, but this didn't stop my grandfather from being drafted. Instead of being like most Amish who chose not to go due to their religious beliefs, my grandfather did go because he believed what the Bible taught about being subject to the government (paraphrasing). He told them though that he would not kill anyone...he was still required to carry a rifle :). He went into the Air Force and they shipped him to the Pacific. First, New Britain, then the Admiralty Islands, and finally the Philippine Islands. This was all between Dec. 1943 and March 1945. Most of what happened he wrote in a book. He also took many pictures. I guess I am just writing to see if anyone would know him or be able to guide me to a place that would tell of what happened in the places he was at. Thanks for your help. I look forward to typing to you all. Oh, his name is Alvin Hochstetler (later spelled Hostetler).

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome Bell, Glad you are here. Post anymore information you have for your Grandfather.

Last week, someone at our sister forum, WW2talk.com, was asking about Amish and Mennonites. Perhaps you could be a good source on these good people.

3. Jan7

Jan7 Member

Welcome, Bell to the WWIIF!.

I am a spaniard. I know very few of the Amish: The search by Alltheweb and the film "Unico Testigo or Witness" A big idea of your grandfather: Share his history and writed a book:eek:.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Welcome on board Bell!

5. Peppy

Peppy Idi Admin

Welcome to the party Bell!

6. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the WWII Forums Bell. :S!

7. scarface

scarface Member

Welcome, Bell.