Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New Info & Questions about C-46 Medical

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Alison, May 11, 2010.

1. Alison

Alison Member

Years ago I moved my father-in-law with Alzheimers out of his house and in with us and then into assisted living. I didn't think he had any more WWII mementos. But when I moved him in January out of assisted living and into a nursing home, I found a tiny address book that I might have tossed except it looked old and I noticed that the wording was in German. He kept this tiny book on his person all these years and a nurse said yesterday that he has been looking for it. It contains phrases in German including "Wait here" and "Lie down," and also contains the names and addresses of men he served with, many of whose names are X-ed out. It also has something I was looking for, his exact unit. So I now know that he was in the 4th Armored Division C-46 Medical Armored Battalion. [FONT=&quot]

It may be possible that he was attached to the 51st AIB. He did say that he was separated from his unit. I found this note in the combat history of the 51st Infantry Battalion:[/FONT]

Sunday 15 April 1945
    Contact was made without Co "C" which has been operating with the 8th Tank Bn, since CCA has split into 2 task forces.

This would explain the Ohrdruf photos in my father-in-law's scrapbook which were taken on the first day. It was the 8th Tank Battalion that bashed in the "gates of hell," and later (according to what I have read) the 53rd came in and after that the 89th to secure the site before the Generals arrived (Obama's uncle was in the 89th).
    I have this list of names, and I wish I could find out records of which ones of them were killed and where.

Groeneveld likes this.
  2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Are you sure that is says 46 Medical Battalion? The 4th AD's medical battalion was the 4th Armored Medical Battalion.

Regardless, this is a great find for you, I am sure. If you can scan, do so and post it. Maybe more eyes can see more.

3. Groeneveld

Groeneveld New Member

Hi,

the medical battalion of the 4th AD was the 46thAMB. The confusion about it being the 4th has to do with an early mistake or typo in the order of battle that has just been repeated over and over again. I believe it come from the 4th medical battalion serving in the 4th Infantry Division.
    I have been studying the 46thAMB for years now. If you are interested in more information on the medics of the 4thAD I would like to invite you to visit my website: www.pattonsbestmedics.com.
    Here you will find Morning Reports, After Action Reports and a database of over 1400 medics that served in the 4thAD during WW2.

Reinier Groeneveld