Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New Information on grandfather's specific regiment and company for WW2

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by JoScott10s, Apr 9, 2020.

1. JoScott10s

JoScott10s New Member

Hi Again, Don't think I had my grandfather's info verified back in December when I 1st wrote but I do now! He was in the 10th infantry regiment, company F and was shot on 2 different occasions in France. 9/1/44 says undefined the 2nd was 11/17/44 near Magny, France. He was a squad leader and a staff Sargeant...that's all I know! Anyone familiar with this specific regiment and company?

2. Riter

Riter Member

From my Civil War Research, I learned to look for regimental histories. and behold, there is one - but out. of print. You might. try to get. it. via inter-liibrary loan.
    HISTORY OF THE 10TH INFANTRY REGIMENT, UNITED STATES ARMY

Second, I'd look for the divisional history and the tenth belonged to the Fifth Infantry Division. The only. book I have by an infantryman of the Fifth was "I Was a Foot Soldier For Patton."

Then I would look for sister regiments in the 5th Infantry Div. (2nd and 11th Infantry). Look for regimental histories and then memoirs by soldiers.

Finally, I would look at Crrps history.as it may give you some insights into the Division.

3. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

4. Riter

Riter Member

Too bad. BatteryPress in Nashville used to have them but they sold out. Inter-library loan is the way to go. I bet Carlisle Barracks and the Library of Congress has it. The National Archives may too.

BTW, it was quite the thing to go to the Library of Congress. I actually got to use the main reading room. All times I've been there and I never been on a tour. It was always right to research.