Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New member saying hello

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Bob Chandler, May 8, 2007.

1. Bob Chandler

Bob Chandler Member

Hello there, just thought I'd introduce myself, I've been meaning to join the forum for some time (have been a member of the Great War Forum for a couple of years) as I've got some WW2 family connections to research, mainly Royal Artillery, finally been kicked into action by the prospect of a return visit to Normandy in a few weeks' time so enthusiasm running high at the moment! Will probably have to visit Monet's Garden etc etc to keep the in laws happy but everybody really knows that the highlight of the trip will be Pegasus Bridge & the Merville Battery. Hope to make contact with some very patient artillery experts on the forum who can help with my stupid questions! Cheers Bob

2. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome aboard Bob! :salute: It's good to see a post 5 months after the join date. ;) You'll find some very knowledgeable people here.

A trip to see Pegasus bridge would be incredible, I'm green with envy! I recommend you read Pegasus Bridge by Stephen Ambrose before you visit. It's a very quick read, I read it again recently in about 3 days, and Ambrose does a great job of detailing the coup-de-main operation. He will give you some good leads on where to visit, including monuments marking the exact landing locations of the gliders and the very first house liberated in France. I'd love to see some photos of the visit.

3. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Welcome to the Forum Bob. No such thing as stupid questions here. Happy posting. Salute!

4. Bob Chandler

Bob Chandler Member

Many thanks for the welcome. Yes, it did take me a while to make my presence known after registering! Unfortunately, there are some things that even war has to stop for....such as decorating....

Quite pleased to see I am a junior member - at my age you don't get to be a junior very often!

All the best

Bob

5. sommecourt

sommecourt Member

Hi Bob - nice to see another face from GWF. Have a great trip to Normandy.

6. Bob Chandler

Bob Chandler Member

Thanks for the welcome Paul and thanks very much for providing the url re: the RA insignia on one of my other posts. Having gained a little experience in Great War research now (village war memorial-related), I'm finding that moving on to WW2 is a completely different ball game altogether and I'm very grateful for the help.

Bob

p.s. I've been thinking about a visit to Firepower, do you think I'd find much there of relevance to my particular interest?

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Enjoy your trip to Merville, it's worth it , their will be plenty of veterans even after all those years.

8. Bob Chandler

Bob Chandler Member

Probably a difficult question, but if you were visiting Pegasus Bridge & Merville on the same day but could only go to one of the museums, which would it be?

9. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Sorry im a little late with the introduction and the welcome but late is better then never!! soooo WELCOME!!!!!

something tells me that I will probably not be the last one :D