Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New or Used ?

Discussion in 'World War 2 Hobbies' started by Lone Wolf, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The BMW thread got me wondering -

Is there much debate in the modelling world re weathered versus sparkling new finish ?

I know that weathering adds authenticity to many dioramas but surely vehicles spent a significant part of there life looking pretty clean and new - particularly as most militaries were/are very hot on things like maintenance, cleaning, painting etc ...

... is mint condition the purest way and best way to view an AFV ?

... is a model sterile without context - such as weathering and dioramas ?

... is weathering actually completely out of context if the model is not in a diorama ?

... how much of the additional work is just modellers doing things simply because they can ?

I'm interested to read your opinions.

2. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I think it mostly depends on the modeler. Adding weathering and non-factory issue items to models is a way for the modeler to advance his skills. However, if one wants to get into realism, I think weathering, etc. may be too common.

You would also have to look at the particular model. If it is a kit used in a combat diorama, then weathering and extra stowage should be used since a clean tank would look really out of place in what should be a muddy field or jungle.