Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New WW2 movie with Brad Pitt

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by A-58, Feb 4, 2010.

1. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I have read that Brad Pitt is connected to a movie production depicting the exploits of Wendell Fertig. Fertig was one of the most, if not the most successful US guerilla leader in the Philippines (Mindinao in particular). It's an excellent story, and I suggest y'all read up on him and his activities. Why a movie on his efforts haven't been made yet I don't know. I hope and pray that Tarantino doesn't have anything to do with it, but have no problem with Brad Pitt portraying him. He did an excellent job in that Benjamin Buttons movie, so I am looking forward to it.

I think that the subject matter would be too much for a feature length movie, rather a mini-series similar to the "Band of Brothers" and the up and coming "The Pacific." Hopefully the writers will include the attempts of MacArthur and his staff to minimize Fertig's efforts. The more I read about Mac, the more I find myself disgusted with him.

(I cut and pasted this passage from another one of my posts on another thread and added to it as to get some exposure)

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Ugh, "Pretty-Boy" in another WWII movie? I was HOPING that this was an early April Fools joke.

3. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

not my fav actor or his movies.....

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

though im absolutely no fan of gEoRgE cLOONEy, i'd take him in a movie over pretty boy-any day. and I loathe cLOONEY.

5. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

yeh something about these so called lookers that doesn't fit the bill carl,as super stars I mean?

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

You got that right Ray. Also, I do think cLOONEY can act but-I just loathe him as a person-especially thanks to his caustic remark about Charlton Heston when Heston came out openly and announced he was suffering from Alzheimers Disease. cLOONEy made a nasty reply and Heston-using class-as he was a class act-smashed cLOONEY like gum under his shoe-with a classy reply. I don't remember the words but it should be online somewhere as to what his reply was ;-))

Rest in Peace Mr. Heston-this is one fan who greatly misses your presance.

7. texson66

texson66 Ace

Actor George Clooney joked about Heston having Alzheimer's Disease.

When questioned, Clooney said Heston deserved whatever was said about him for his involvement with the NRA.

Heston responded by saying Clooney lacked "class," and said he felt sorry for Clooney, as Clooney had as much of a chance of developing Alzheimer's as anyone else.

8. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

The idea of the project is to bring Wendell Fertig's story to the silver screen, not whether or not Brad Pitt is everyone's first choice of an actor. I don't think he is the best actor around either, but his skills have improved with age and the range of characters played. Again, I am not trying to convince anyone to be a fan of his, all I wanted to do was to give notice of what could be an informative and interesting movie on a great American hero who fought on after the surrender in the Philippines.

Has anyone googled or wiki'd Wendell Fertig yet? If anyone does, I guarantee that their resistance to Brad Pitt playing him would fade in hopes that the production makes it to the theaters.

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks for this Tex. that was one of two quotes that Charlton Heston made about that incident. The one I remember actually hearing him remark about had something to do with knowing Rosemary Clooney and in that he said something like gEoRgE cLOONEY being the son of his (Hestons) longtime good friend-Rosemary, that it was a shame that he (gEORGE) didn't have any class like his parents had-or something like that ;-))

I tried to give you reps for it but still ave to spread them around a bit ;-)

PS, and very soon, ill be feasting my eyes on some new Charlton Heston movies to my DvD collection including but not limited to: El Cid, The War Lord, 55 Days At Peking and another whose title escapes my memory at this time. Ad to this soon-to-be-watch-fest-A Time To Love and a Time To Die and Hannibal Brooks.

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi A/ I didn't mean to demean your thread about this upcoming War Movie, it's just that I couldn't keep quiet about my disdain about b-p. I never thought muh of him I don't hate him just can't stand him as I think he is wa overrated-just like whats-his-face? the guy who played thejoker in the Batman movie he was in. I know his name but just trying my darndest at forgetting it ;-)

11. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

I like George Clooney. I didn't hear about this comments about Heston...but I suppose if I boycotted every actor that made remarks that were anti-gun (which that was) or anti-person who is pro-gun (which that was) I'd be missing a lot of movies. I liked Brad Pitt in some his movies, disliked in others...like any other actor. I loved the Benjamin Button movie, and I liked the Jesse James movie. I dunno. I liked them both in the Ocean's 11-12-13 movies. 12 was my least favorite.

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Luke, I guess Im just more opinionated than most here-and when it comes to those actors that I gre up with who were sorta surrogate parents to me-like: Charlton Heston, John Wayne, Ronald Reagan, Richard Widmark, Richard Basehart, Clint Eastwood, Charles Bronson, Lee Marvin, Ernest Borgnine, James Coburn, James Whitmore Sr, Richard Boone, Alan Hale Sr, Carrol O'Connor, Gary Cooper, Edw. G. Robinson, Jeff Chandler, Brian Keith, Ward Bond, Frank Sinatra, Clint Walker, Robert Taylor, Van Johnson, Ricardo Montalban, Anthony Quinn, Gregory Peck, Robert Mitchum, James Cagney, Cary Grant, Humphrey Bogart, Errol Flynn, James Stewart, Henry Fonda-well you know what I mean without going on all day about these greats.

I just also feel that the above, actually id great in actually deserving the money they worked much much harder to earn, than odays way over-paid actors. Im not saying the Costner and a few others don't deserve the money they average per movie-but some certainly do not deserve the 20 Million they get per job. Heck, John Wayne started out making less than $50.00 a week-when he first got into acting.

13. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

That's cool Carl, all is well. I am looking forward to the story being told after looking up and reading about Wendell Fertig. And I hope the portrayal does the story justice.

I really don't care for George Clooney either, but I hate to say that I did enjoy very much his performance in the movie "O Brother, Where Art Thou." The first time I saw it I felt that it wasn't that good. But after several viewings via Netflix, I grew very fond of the movie.

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi A/ and thanks. Im willing to support watching a B-P movie-but its difficult to get over the guy=much like om cruies. A longtime ago I was a fan of his till about 10 yrs ago. Then I never watched anything with him connected to it-that is-till The Last Samurai came out in which I thought he was good in it. When I saw Valkyrie, I thought I could start to get over my prejudices about tom cruise and hiw wierdness. cLOONEy, I can never support. However, I would give certain movies at least a onetime viewing-like that Football farce he was in-that sounds a bit interesting.

15. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I watched "Leatherheads" not long ago. It wasn't very good in my opinion, but go ahead and get it on Netflix. It's worth a look, but that's about it. I guess the problem was that I expected too much from it, hoping it would be one of those feel good and fun movies like "O Brother" was. It could've been better.

16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi A/ ill add that movie to my queue. Trouble is, is that I have almost 400 in it now ;-)) May take awhile to see it ;-))