Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New WWII Book (first-hand account) - A Wartime Odyssey

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by jwhofer, Feb 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. jwhofer

jwhofer New Member

About 10 years ago, my grandfather, Veryln Hofer, wrote a short book recounting his experience in WWII. He was an American GI and was wounded in battle fighting the Germans in France. The book had been sitting on our family bookshelves for a number of years when my father finally gave me a copy. I enjoyed the book so much that I got permission from my grandfather to publish the book.

The book is called, "A Wartime Odyssey" with a subtitle of "The Personal Story of One Teenage G.I. Wounded in Battle in WW II."

I wasn't sure how to get the word out on this new first-hand account of WW II. I found this wonderful forum where I know there are many patrons who would absolutely love the story my grandfather has to tell.

The book is available on Amazon in paperback and Kindle verisions. It's only $0.99. It can be viewed here.

Here's a quick description:

This is the first-hand account of a 19-year-old American G.I. wounded in battle against German forces in France during World War II. This is a one-of-kind look inside what happened to those brave American G.I.’s who became casualties on the battlefields of World War II Europe. Filled with adventure, terror, humor, and honesty, Veryln Hofer recounts his personal wartime odyssey. From the battlefield, to Army hospitals, to a boat ride back home across the Atlantic, Hofer recalls not only the events, but the people who shaped his odyssey with beautiful clarity and insight. The cast of characters Hofer describes paints a picture of the war, the world, and the times that the reader will not soon forget.

Attached Files:

2. B-17 Son

B-17 Son New Member

That's nice. You are fortunate to have that story.

3. jwhofer

jwhofer New Member

It's been interesting to see how many other personal stories there are out there. A stranger by the name of Chad - from North Dakota - wrote me. He published his great-uncle's WWI person account and wanted to exchange a signed copy of his great-uncle's book with a signed copy of my grandfather's book. I asked my grandfather if he was interested and, of course, he was. Awesome community.

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Add a bit detail. What unit was he in?