Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New WWII Movies on the Horizon

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by dgmitchell, Aug 24, 2008.

1. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

Here are all of the five (5) WWII-themed movies that I could find on the horizon (along with links to more info). Release date in the USA is shown in parenthesis.

Movie: I Served the King of England (October 3)

I Served the King of England marks the return of director Jirí Menzel, master filmmaker of the Czech New Wave. The story, told in flashbacks, concerns the rise and fall of an amorous and opportunistic apprentice waiter. Jan Díte is a little man with a big appetite for discreet sexual encounters and worldly success. His coming of age at various grand hotels exposes him to the lifestyles of the upper crust, the crème de la crème of 1930s Czech society, and a taste of their self-indulgent and carefree extravagance fuels his ambition. Soon he lands a job at a prestigious luxury hotel, where a chance encounter with a Sudeten German activist leads to a newly varnished Aryan identity. As the hotel changes hands from private ownership to the grip of the German SS, he finds himself in one of the Lebensborn breeding resorts designed to spawn the Aryan master race. It appears he finally has it made, but with the Germans occupying Czechoslovakia he is unfortunately on the wrong side of history. Luscious to look at, this finely crafted film is based on the picaresque novel of Bohumil Hrabal (1914–1997), a frequent Menzel collaborator who inspired a generation with his lyrical yet unsentimental view of 20th century life.

Movie: Miracle at St. Anna (October 10)

Spike Lee's WWII tale about black US soldiers trapped in a Tuscan village during a battle.

Movie: Boy in the Striped Pajamas (November 7)

Set during World War II, a story seen through the innocent eyes of Bruno, the eight-year-old son of the commandant at a concentration camp, whose forbidden friendship with a Jewish boy on the other side of the camp fence has startling and unexpected consequences.

Movie: Australia (November 14)

Luhrmann's film is set in northern Australia prior to World War II and centers on an English aristocrat (Kidman) who inherits a cattle station the size of Maryland. When English cattle barons plot to take her land, she reluctantly joins forces with a rough-hewn stock-man (Jackman) to drive 2,000 head of cattle across hundreds of miles of the country's most unforgiving land, only to still face the bombing of Darwin, Australia, by the Japanese forces that had attacked Pearl Harbor only months earlier.

Movie: Defiance (December 5)

Three Jewish brothers escape from Nazi-occupied Poland into the Belarussian forest, where they join Russian resistance fighters and endeavor to build a village in order to protect themselves and others in danger.

Otto and krieg like this.
  2. krieg

krieg Ace

thanks for the info i knew of two coming out more the better
    cheers krieg

3. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Thanks dgmitchell, I'm always on the lookout for new WWII cinema.

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Thanx! Probably not making the cinemas over here some of those but later on on DVD hopefully.

5. J.A. Costigan

J.A. Costigan Member

I dislike Spike Lee because I think he is a Semi-Black Supremacist (at the every least a ''reverse'' racist), however Miricle at St. Anne's looks intresting.

6. biscuits

biscuits Member