Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Newbie has a question.

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by ballbag, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ballbag

ballbag recruit

Hi, i am after some info or advice if that's not to much to ask as a newbie?

My grandad has come across these three items and we were wondering exactly what they are and how to deal with them, such as whether to sell them or keep them?

They have come from his brothers house, he recently passed away.

[​IMG]

After looking around, i believe the badge has been de nazified and had a gold swastika covered up.

The watch s a kreigsmarine by A Lange & Sohne

No got any info on the iron cross though, only it's from 1939.

Any information would be great thanks.

Jay

2. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Moved to Miliratia forum.

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

You have a second class Iron Cross there. Apparently the Ribbon from the Cross has replaced the Swastika. No problem the ribbons are quite easy to find so you could restore the Cross to its original condition. If I were you I would keep it. It is a 1939 model but these were awarded until 1945. The denazified item is an Abzeige that I can't recognize at the moment because it's partially incomplete (is the edge gold?), but I'm sure others will help you out. The Kriegsmarine watch is an absolute beauty and possibly the most valuable item, that probably belonged to an officer. Has it got initials or a name?

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

To me, the top left looks like a German Cross in Gold that, like you suggested, has had the swastika removed.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

You have a cloth DkiG in Gold w/o the swaz. The ribbon in the middle is supposedly for a Knights Cross as it's way too wide to be for a 1939 EK2. The cloth DkiG is black denoting it was one issued to someone who served in a Panzer Division.

Also, you have a cased 1939 Iron Cross 1st class. Depending on condition and maker (if marked?) and such-these go from about $350 to about $600-which is way too high IMO.

6. ballbag

ballbag recruit

Thanks for the info, it appears to still have the Swastika underneath when i press it!!!

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Has it ? then you have a winner there! I'd try to remove the ribbon, as I told these are easy to get, so you won't miss that part too much . Carl is right when he said 1st class cross (I said 2nd)

C.Evans likes this.
  8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Welcome. If it is in original condition, yours is probably valued in the range of $500-to-$700 bucks. These are more commonly going for about $450 but since yours is Panzer-it'll go for more. I've seen these listed even more than the above-whether or not they will sell at that price? Anyway, I know that the Army had over 15,000 DkiGs awarded-so they aint rare by any means. Total numbers can be over 30,000 for all branches of service.

Hey Skipper, no problem-I figured it was a typo ;-)) I saluted ya for admitting an error though ;-))