Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

NFL

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Poppy, Dec 16, 2012.

1. David.W

David.W Active Member

From a neutral standpoint, I think that it is always a shame when the best team in the NFL doesn't make the Superbowl.
    And for me the Cowboys were by far and away the best team all season.
    That is to take nothing away from Rogers and the Packers, who were simply slightly better on the day.

Great game!!

2. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

The best team on the day always wins... Conferences vary in wallet/talent/schedule. Injuries etc.
    Dallas has football magic. Few teams maintain consistent level of play over the decades...Patriots deserve their place... Pittsburgh.

3. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

HA- yes, putin decided Dallas would not win...
    Not My Superbowl Team
    Let us march (not)... i will accept the new superbowl team...hoping this act will be the first step towards peace with hollywood(who cares).

4. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

My money is on the Pats. Since I am up here now and get to hear the whining about everything even though they are a frigging dynasty.

5. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Atlanta taking it to GB.

6. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Wow both teams got spanked!

7. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Brutal football. Glad i recorded them. A whole lot of fast forward going on.
    Too many commercial timeouts. NFL needs to know, people won't watch live when there are so many commercials.
    The decline of NFL.
    How to fix-
    No more than 30 seconds of commercials. Speed the game up.
    Change the playoff format.
    The 2 minute clock timeout can be eliminated. It really puts a damper on the game. Let it flow baby.
    Stop the timeout's by teams just as the fieldgoal kicker attempts his kick.
    There should be no timeouts more than 30 seconds.
    Topless cheerleaders.

http://deadspin.com/security-guard-appears-to-be-masturbating-near-cheerlea-1790317271

8. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Once again Poppy you have marshaled all the facts..and drawn the wrong conclusion! :)

The NFL is seen as a 'family' event so topless cheerleaders is not gonna happen. Frankly cheerleaders as a whole could be dispensed with altogether. There is plenty of free adult content available on the internet which makes gal's with extra tight hot pants seem quite tame by comparison. Besides everyone knows Dallas has the prettiest bunch and the rest are just knockoff's.

The 2 Minute warning time out is a powerful tactical tool in the game. Good teams use it to win, or at least put themselves in the position to win. Bad teams squander them. The only time they are irrelevant are in blow out games and those are already unwatchable except when your team is pummeling a hated rival and in this case it allows you to savor a well deserved butt whooping.

Icing Kickers by time outs actually add a measure of excitement to a element of the game that much needed it. The Kicking game was slowly becoming a after thought from two directions, rules to prevent injuries on the kick-off (3 man wedge, moving up the default start point, etc.) and the near automatic nature of PAT's and FG's have made them good tune out moments. They are no longer automatic, thus getting inside the kickers head and have now led to more 2 point conversions. All good!

The Playoff format is about as good as it could be considering. This year the AFC #1 will meet the NFC #2, not bad at all. Most of the teams earned their way into the playoff's, Houston did not, but they won their division and in any conceivable format they would be in. Oakland and Miami lost their starting QB's late in the season, otherwise they would have done better.

Advertising is not only a necessary evil, for the TV viewer (most NFL fans) they are often quite useful. They signal when you can scoot to the potty, reload that empty adult beverage or take the trash out to the curb/bin after the 4th time the room mate has indicated that sleeping on the sofa is becoming ever more likely in your future.

How to Improve the NFL.

The problem with TV commercials is their repetitiveness. If you watch the broadcast pregame, as opposed to the 4 hours of premium cable pregame blovating, to the credits of the Sunday night game your in for 10 to 12 hours of programming on Sunday. After the 5th time you have seen the same Peyton commercial, usually your at half time of the first game, you are ready to carve out your eyes with a rusty spoon. Insist that the exact same commercial does not air more than once per hour, ideally only once per program.

Full Time Ref's. The NFL spends millions on image yet can't afford to hire full time referees and work to train them to call games consistently? We had one game end with a missed call this season, others had game changers that either killed momentum or gave it to a struggling team.It might also be useful to add a extra ref or two, judging by the number of missed calls.Also every time a player is fined for a act that did not draw a flag is a clear indication of a blown/missed call. I'm tired of yelling at my TV for bad calls that even the announcers see, my set is very sensitive to negative input.

Flag Penalties. They are way to uneven and often have too great a impact on a game. Why is defensive holding 10 yards, but offensive holding 5 yards? And as everyone knows holding can be called on just about every play as it is, so it appears arbitrary when called. Pass interference is another sore spot. it should 10 yards an a first not a easy pass to the one yard line. In the Packer-Cowboy game Dallas took a 15 yard Unsportsman like penalty for a extra man in the huddle. Yeah it should have been a penaty, but not 15 yards, 5, maybe 10 yards but not a drive killer. Especially one that could lead to a ejection.

End the Tied game. I don't care how long it takes, it becomes epic by simply being a grueling match. they say its a safety issue but each team is equally affected and how fair is it to have a team play on Sunday then again on Thursday? Speaking of which, either allow the whole country to see Monday/Thursday games or get rid of them altogether. the NFL gets special exceptions from the government, they shouldn't be allowed to charge us through the nose for them.

No more expansion or talk of it, there isn't enough talent to go around as it is. Speaking of which, there are teams that seem to be perennial losers and the ownership doesn't seem to care so long as they get that guaranteed NFL money from TV contracts and sale of official NFL merchandise. I say if after 3 losing seasons give that team extra draft picks in the early rounds, then if they continue to suck, have the franchise put for sale at fair market value with proceeds going to current ownership. Maybe new blood will do what the previous owners would not.

City swapping needs to stop already. Does anyone really believe the Raiders going to Las Vegas is a good idea? If they can't fill a stadium in Oakland how will the do it in a city of transients?

There is more of course, but this would be a good start.

KJ Jr likes this.
  9. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

Might want to edit that one...

belasar likes this.
  10. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Its the other way around. Def. 5, Off. 10.

At times it can seem like defensive holding is 5 because they may call a PI as a spot foul when it was clearly before the ball left the QB's hands. Drives me nuts. I am sick of PI being a play in the game. There should be no 4o yard penalties in the NFL. Make it a 15 yard, automatic first down. Give each DB 1 or 2 a game and then make it a spot foul afterward.

11. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Thanks, what I meant to say, too much multi tasking and I was rushing to finish before Gotham.

12. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

I just forwarded it to Goodell.

13. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Crap! I'll be knee deep in lawyers now :(

14. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

All right people. Who do you have?

15. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Topless was a Freudian slip.
    [​IMG]

16. belasar

belasar Court Jester

So long as Darth Belichick and the Evil Empire is defeated all will be right in the universe.

17. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Would be nice to see Atlanta win. ..As always- just want a competitive game that goes into overtime...
    If recalling- overtime would allow the team who was scored on:
    - chance to drive down the field to score...if they don't even or best the score on that drive- other team wins.

18. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

If the first possession of overtime ends in a TD of a safety the game is concluded. If a field goal is kicked and the other team matches it its sudden death, next score wins.

Poppy likes this.
  19. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

20. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Hehehee, that damn empire.
    ...After reading about Brady and his nutty diet (acid/alkaline), not a fan anymore. Can see how some of his former teammates would find him intolerable. Dude has never eaten a strawberry. That alone is enough to dislike the guy.
    Go Atlanta.

TD-Tommy776 likes this.