Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

NFL

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Poppy, Dec 16, 2012.

1. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I hate to say it but I'm glad that the Patriots won. Mainly because the mainstream media has been negatively reacting to Tom Brady for his support of President Trump since taking office. But I really could care less about the game since the Saints wasn't in it, and probably won't ever be again in our lifetime as long as Tom Benson is running the show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and finally....

[​IMG]

2. David.W

David.W Active Member

Am I the only one here who thought that the Pats needed a lot of "help" to achieve that comeback?

I can't think of another 33 minutes of football where so many 50/50 calls went one way. Bear in mind that once it has been called "just so" on the field, there has to be incontrovertible evidence to get it over turned.

And the pass interference in OT was a joke. I didn't see a single Pat look to an official for flag before it was thrown, even they didn't think there was a foul.

Atlanta may have been complacent, made some bad calls in hindsight, changed from a zone defence etc. and maybe not challenged the right 50/50 calls.
    But ultimately I think they were robbed.

3. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

I don't buy it. There were games that were robbed by the refs this year (in unprecedented numbers) but the SB was not one of them. Case in point, a highly aggressive and young team in Atlanta were robbed by their own coach. 2 and 1 from Pats 25, when you are up 8 already, there is no need to jump in shotgun, empty backfield. The risk reward is too high vs a veteran team in the Pats. The Pats are the king of opportunity, the luckiest team in sports, and there is a reason for it. They make you second guess your game plan. A simple succession of runs there, regardless of whether you got it or not would have run some more time off the clock or made the Pats burn their TO. Best case scenario, Atlanta is up 11 with 3:00 left. Worst case, you stupidly drop back 2 times to pass (which they did) and get sacked pushing you out of FG range. Very similar to Pete Carroll's call to throw at the 1 in SB 49.

4. belasar

belasar Court Jester

I tend to agree, generally rules interpretation tends to get relaxed during playoff/SB games. They deny it of course but you routinely hear 'letting them play the game'. Besides a number of times I saw New England players (damn their cursed souls) jumping up looking for yellow hankies that were not coming.

5. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Shambhala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv9DwzU3K
    #482- Dave, are you suggesting the league made game calls that allowed a Pats win?
    Because the NFL hates the Pats. Why would they make calls against the Falcons...
    It was delicious to see fans boo Goodell...
    Admin should keep its nose out of the game. Less governance, more entertainment...Who really cares about psi of footballs.
    Maybe next year, there will be a smaller admin that will allow the game to be played without interference from many biased officials.

6. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

SF 49'r colin kapernickle has decided his political efforts should now take a knee.
    Yes, colins' wallet had nothing to do with this decision. Goodbye lefty copernicus. Thanks for reducing NFL profits.
    NFL= wife beaters, murderer's, communists, drug dealers, cheaters...Way to go NFL.

7. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Watched the Dallas/Denver rebroadcast from 2013 on ESPN Classics, where Denver outlasted Dallas...Think the final was 51-48.
    What a barn burner, the crowd went wild...Best game ever?
    ESPN Classics is a great channel. Watch a lot of old boxing. They do some good bio's too.

There was a good one about Steve Bartman, the baseball fan who interfered with a catch during the Cubs/Marlins playoff 2003.
    Not NFL, but interesting.
    Steve Bartman incident - Wikipedia

8. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

That Steve Bartman documentary was actually very interesting. I really felt for the guy.

9. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

The guy swayed the game, and even the playoff...shows how baseball can be a mind game.
    NFL - fans are the 12th player, and can influence game outcomes.