Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

NHL...

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Kai-Petri, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Back in 1991 when the WC was in Finland and they played several games in Turku where I lived, we went to a local hotel bar and drank several pints with some Czech players. Robert Reichel , I think,
    said that this one chap will become rich and famous and we drank to that. Later on I have realized it was Jagr.... ;)

Later on we went to a late night bar where Dave King was with his body guards. My friend was so drunk he claimed Dave was coach for the US team and kept on insisting on this. The body guards sure had fun and laughed like h.... He was such a gentleman in the end that I donĀ“t remember how many times we shook hands that night...and he never said no... ;)

Poppy likes this.
  2. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Back when the Oilers were the real dealio, we'd see players often in the bars, lounges...Gretzky had the weakest game off ice. He'd come around and ask if any girls wanted to go home with him. Just like that...He wasn't a big drinker, unlike his other team mates. Kevin McClellan would always be there to protect Gretz. Or McSorely, Semenko back in the day. Dave Brown (best scrapper ever) etc.
    Cocaine abuse was rampant on the early Oilers. Messier, Fuhr were the worst. Coffey, Anderson had issues...Was it Dave Hunter who was getting a bj in a parked car, when it was rear ended. Almost lost his junk...Glen Sather would always come and fill up at the gas station in our neighborhood, and always enjoyed chatting him up.
    Was at the final game Oilers Flyers when Oilers won the Cup. Hextall was in goal for Philly- he was worse than Islanders Billy Smith. He axed everyone in his crease, and caused a lot of fights...anyway- walking down Jasper Ave after win- riot situation. Fights everywhere. ..Never understood the riot mentality. Lizard brains took over some folks. No sense.

3. USS Washington

USS Washington Active Member

Jagr recently tied Gordie Howe in points(1850), what's impressive is he reached that milestone in a hundred or so fewer games (1612 to Howes 1767), and now he'll get the chance to surpass it in tonights game against Boston.

Poppy likes this.
  4. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

We had a minor league hockey team here in Baton Rouge back in the 90s called the Kingfish, or "the Fish" for short. Went to a game once and didn't really know what was going on except for the part when the puck went in the net. I can now see why they get all fired up over a goal since so many shots are blocked or missed. The occasional goal and fist fight made it all worthwhile. The team folded after awhile and went someplace else. They never filled the arena anyway, and only the occasional snow bird or misplaced Canuck knew what the game was all about anyway.

USS Washington likes this.
  5. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

It is possible some have never seen Slap Shot with Paul Newman. ..Remember that movie coming out and thinking 'Paul Newman?'.
    Pre game brawl:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHMi-j7W2gM

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Yes, I remember the Hanson brothers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUbn5ss8j9c

Well, nice "touch"...

7. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

8. USS Washington

That's a shame, hockey is a fun sport to watch, and New Orleans could make a good home for another expansion team, in my opinion.

9. USS Washington

Last night Chicago suffered their worst shut-out loss at home since October 2006, losing 5-0 to the LA Kings, and Kings goaltender Jonathan Quick set the record for most career shut-outs(41) by an American-born goaltender.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=400815898

10. Otto

Otto Made of plastic. Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

A few unhappy Hawks fans at work today.

11. USS Washington

Can't blame them.

12. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I don't believe that New Orleans ever got a hockey team. It might have worked down there, considering it can be a very violent place at times. Lafayette, Louisiana had a minor league team called the Ice Gators about the same time the Fish were in Baton Rouge. That guy the movie "Goon" was based on played there for a few years before he retired.

What's with all the fighting in hockey anyway? Not that I am against it or frightened by it, but it's about the only non-fighting sport that allows fighting. Maybe the candy-assed soccer players can man up and learn something from the hockey players and make that sport a worthwhile endeavor to watch.

13. USS Washington

How popular is hockey in Louisiana, do you know a few people who watch it, and what team(s) do you like?

Not sure, hockey players are just very competitive, only intensified when the teams facing each other are bitter rivals(i.e. Pittsburgh and Philly). I agree though, fighting makes hockey all the more entertaining to watch, sadly it's not like what it used to be now, refs are quick to break up scuffles before they start, thankfully they still happen on occasion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2n58JAeJwY

14. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

"What's with all the fighting in hockey anyway?"
    Grapes (Don Cherry) has expounded on this.
    The refs can't see all the dirty work that is being done. Stick blades to ankle or spear to gut etc. ..When a team puts out checkers to cover the other teams high scorers- they often take liberties. A lot of holding, stick work, cheap shots etc on one teams star players- will usually be countered with goons.
    Back in the day, Gretzky always had Semenko, Brown, McSorely, McClelland etc etc on his line so there was some muscle on the ice if peeps tried anything funny.
    Brown /Semenko got a few goals just standing in front of the net While Curry or Gretz would ricochet pucks off them.
    Ahhh, the good old days.
    Would bet a million dollars, soccer would be a better game if they allowed fighting...there would not be as many dives or cheap shots- if a guy knew he'd get the tar beaten out of him.

Otto likes this.
  15. Otto

Otto Made of plastic. Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I echo Poppy's comments. The threat of another player stopping his play and focusing all his energy on punching you in the face is a very good control mechanism to players who get aggressive behind the play. I played hockey for over 15 years, got a scholarship for it, and even had a brief stint in Europe to play the game. For most of it fighting was always there to keep the insidious violence at vay. During all that time I was never injured seriously until I played a few games in a league where fighting was banned. I nearly lost an eye when some bastard used his stick on my face. I still have a clear scar through my eyebrow from it. Stickwork happens in leagues with fighting, but exponentially less often.

16. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

The thing that really turned me off from nhl, was that the Oilers discovered "loopholes" and exploited them because we had superior talent.
    We'd often have 5 on 3, 4 on 2 because other teams would take penalties because they couldn't keep up with the speed, passing, stick handling, so would take holding or other penalties.
    The nhl changed rules, in order to keep the Oilers in check. We'd have won more cups, and kept members longer.
    The US dollar pretty much crushed Canadian teams, when the US became interested in hockey.
    Yes, Hockey in Canada was yuge back in the day. Before cable and internet. The Richard Riot, March 17, 1955-
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Riot

17. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

I'm a big hockey fan, especially the Flyers. We had season tickets from 73 to 84, so we got to see both Cups. We also saw the Soviet game.. I also played pickup hockey with my brother and cousin for about 15 years. No fighting there, but saw plenty of it in the pro game. I remember when Clarke got stick-whacked and the perpetrator was chased around the rink by the entire team. No one on his team so much as raised a hand to help him. Even though fighting has pretty much been eliminated, fans (especially in Philadelphia) love a good, hard, physical game.

18. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Oh yeah, did you see Salming catch that slapshot to the face. ..that guy would have been the perfect soldier. He stepped in front of everything. No fear...I have a Titan TPM 2020 Salming wood stick from back in the day.

19. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Hockey does not exactly hit on the radar here in Louisiana. Hardly anyone knows how to play, much less skate on ice. Not much of a winter here you know, we're in the sub-tropics afterall. A few sneauxbirds and ex-pat Canucks might follow it, but here it's SEC football, the New Orleans Saints and LSU baseball. There's more interest in extreme fighting than hockey, although most people here only notice that one sport the fighting is on ice and the other isn't. I don't follow it, but during choir practice I'd rather have it on the screen than basketball.

20. USS Washington

I had a feeling that was the case, hockey just seems to be more of a Canucks and Yankees sport, nothing wrong with that, I do wish it gets more media attention, though.

Definitely, basketball ain't my cup of tea, either.