Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Nice Story

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by Zefer, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Zefer

Zefer Member

So I was watching the One Show on BBC earlier and then a feature came on about a man (ex-Waffen SS serviceman) who was taken prisoner by British troops and sent to a maximum security prison in the Scottish Highlands.
    He felt like he treated so well in (and out) of the prison by the Scottish people he has recently returned to the village and he plans to £100,000 (Roughly €111,755) in his will as a donation to help turn the once prison into a historical site. He also lived in Scotland (after being released) until 1953 working on a farm, until he returned to his homeland.

He also noted some interesting facts about the Waffen SS which he called "the Elite":
    - you had to be at least six foot tall in order to serve;
    - your family tree was traced back to the early 1800s to ensure you were fully of German descent;
    - people with glasses weren't accepted.

For reference, he was a Panzergrenadier.

2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Thanks Zefer,
    I remember reading that. I think it was Cultybraggan camp in Comrie, which still exists, and is famous for the 1944 murder of a PoW called Felix Rosterberg by his comrades, who thought he was a 'plant'. Most of them were hung at Pentonville prison postwar.
    There was another camp called Cowden in Comrie, but it's now under a housing estate.