Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

No Survivors

Discussion in 'Allied Bomber Planes' started by Jim, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    A stick of 1000-lb bombs dropped from Lt John Winslett's B-17G-30-VE 42-97791 Trudy, part of the 332nd BS/94th BG, over Berlin on 19 May 1944 knocked off the left horizontal stabiliser of Lt Marion Ulysses Reid's B-17G-20-BO 42-31540 Miss Donna Mae (from the 331st BS) below it. Reid's aircraft quickly went into an uncontrollable spin, and at 13,000 ft the wing broke off and the B-17 spun crazily to the ground. There were no survivors. The wartime press release for this horrific photograph erroneously stated that the aircraft recovered to the UK, beating all other Forts back to base.

[​IMG]

2. m.i.l.f hunter

m.i.l.f hunter New Member

via War44
    amazing picture and amazing bullshit propaganda saying they all flew home-anyone with half a brain would know this plane couldnt fly.
    A similar thing happened to my dads plane-although they did all survive,when a lanc. dropped its bombs from a higher altitude and one passed straight through the fuselage of my their aircraft.My father in the rear turret was ok but the bomb had hit the magazine for the mid upper gunner and set off quite a few rounds of .303,as luck would have it the bomb never went off and the only wounds were to the wireless operator who got peppered with some shrapnel but he survived.