Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Noob needs help- Counterattacking Germany

Discussion in 'Hearts of Iron' started by MastahCheef117, Jul 10, 2009.

1. MastahCheef117

MastahCheef117 Member

Well, I recently got Hearts of Iron II off of Amazon.com (yesterday actually). I've immersed myself in it, and I'm slowly learning on warfare tactics against different countries. I've played as:

Canada (up to 1938)
    France (up to 1941)
    Germany (up to 1942)
    Russia (up to 1940)
    Italy (up to 1939)
    Japan (up to 1940)

I've played mostly as France, Germany and Italy. As France I researched fairly well, as to by August 1939 I was researching in the Nuclear and Rocket technologies (I had researched most infantry and armor, along with about half of aircraft and naval) I had pushed my ground army to about 100 divisions, half in Metz, Strasbourg and Mulhouse, the other half in Nice and Grenoble. I also had 10 garrison divisions spread out in a general, loose Maginot-line type defense. Again, since I'm still new to HoI, I use easy settings ("coward" aggressiveness and they rarely declare war) so, ultimately, the only countries they take over by the end of 1939 are Austria, Czechoslovakia (into Slovakia) and Poland (by about October 10th).

So by September 1st I have a researched, modern Navy, Airforce, Industry and Land force. I had always tried to keep good relations with Italy (I kept the divisions in Grenoble and Nice to defend against a possible attack or even an invasion against them.) So Germany sent about 40 divisions in to circle my Metz, Strasbourg and Mulhouse. I outnumber them considerably, and outtech them. However, as most of you should've discovered it's hard to attack from a province to another, when a second enemy province neighbors yours. However, as one of my armies, containing about 30 divisions, attacked a German army of 5-8 divisions, I WAS REPULSED! My army had much better organization than the Germans. So to counter this I took several Bomber squadrons (accompanied of course by fighters), and began bombarding the German army in Freiburg. As I counterattacked with the same army about two days later (bringing along several more bomber and fighter squadrons), I lost yet again. After these two attacks, the Germans brought reinforcements and I knew I had lost the initiative.

As my allegiance with Italy slowly rose, I became assured there was to be no war in the future- for now- and redirected the few troops on the border to the German assaults. I held out with what little (but high-tech) airforce I had in the region. I tried to build air facilities in the provinces, but the German airforce struck them down. Eventually they managed to send five bomber squadrons and one fighter squadron past me and to Paris to take out my biggest defensive network- my four neighboring Interceptors took them down but my airfield was damaged. I knew I was gradually beginning to lose the war, and although I had massive resources at my disposal (nearly four years does great things for a country), I could only support four production ques at once before the dates began to be pushed back. So every time I could only afford two infantry or armored divisions at once- the other had my fourth carrier under production along with a submarine flotilla.

Well, now it's June 1940. My frontal armies have taken severe damage and I'm running dry on reserve troops- every time after a battle, I station every division under about 60% health into reserve to recover. Both the La Royale and the Kriegsmarine have dealt each other deadly blows, and out of my original seven battleships (I built only one since the beginning of the game), only three remain. My airforce however, has had great successes against all of the Wehrmacht, Kriesmarine and Luftwaffe, suffering virtually no casualties. Most of my interceptors are rocket-propelled, while my nuclear research is continuing. I amazingly have held the front line against Germany for quite some while. Soon in early September (September 1st to "avenge the Polish") I would launch a new offensive against the Germans, as my airforce has, already, dealt major blows to the Wehrmacht. Germany is basically stalemated on all fronts- they amazingly launched an assault against the SU in February, so really they screwed themselves over extra early- an easy advantage for us Allies, I believe.

And I'm sorry this is a very long thing, but I need to ask several questions:

1) Belgium and the Dutch STILL haven't been invaded by the Wehrmacht. Should I ask for military clearance, sneak a small force through their territory and launch a flanking attack?

2) If my newly-planned offensive fails again, however I may outnumber them severely and (again) outtech them, I obviously have lost these battles.* Any other strategy to win?

-*Maybe because I'm playing as France...

2. Rommel2009

Rommel2009 Member

Hmmm... first of all, are you sure you out-tech them? Germany has always been one of the most advanced in the game. And with those 30 div., do you have any HQs? They allow you to handle double the troops generals normally can without incurring penalties. Once you reach that limit though, any extra troops incur heavy penalties and are essentially useless and will get slaughtered. So if your highest ranking General is a Field Marshel, who can handle 12 units without the penalties of overstacking, in a group of 30, and you have no HQ, then the other 18 div. are taking so many penalties they arent doing you any good. But with an HQ, the field marshel can handle 24 div., which is a whole lot better =D Not sure if you new that already but it is very important to remember.
    Before trying to sneak attack through belgium and dutch could you manage any planes to c how many div. they have bordering them. Also consider whether you can spare the div. to try the attack. If the border is nearly unguarded I might go for it.
    I have also heard of a dangerous strategy suggested by others but I have never tried it as it is risky. You may consider saving before attempting it as it may result in a Vichy France for you. I have heard where people leave a hole in their front in one territory, along side which you have large forces. Allow the Germans to Penetrate your front and as they thin out through France, sever them from Germany by resecuring your front and come up behind them with many of your forces. This will render them out of supply and perhaps give you a chance to eliminate several of their forces. Of course, it may very well cost you the homeland and it will def. hurt your industry but if you are desperate then you may give it a shot.
    While mentioning industry, almost always France falls to the Germans and you are left with very little. So you may try sreading your industry out some by building up your factories in North Afirca. Just an idea though, never done it, i nearly always play as the Germans.
    Not sure if this helps but here ya go! Good luck =D

MastahCheef117 likes this.
  3. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

The Germans aint the most Technologically advanced in the game. They only have access to the blitzkrieg tech, much earlier before the other major nations get there more advanced doctrines. This gives Germany an edge in the land battles, but they greatly lack both air doctrines, sea doctrines, and even in the tank techs for that matter.

4. MastahCheef117

MastahCheef117 Member

Well, since I haven't played that saved game since I posted this (I wanted to wait for a response,) I restarted and tried your risky little trick- it worked perfectly, and best of all, I destroyed 30 German divisions! :D It severely hampered the Germans' ability of war against me. Because of this I've slowly been having more victories against them, and now my navy is taking less casualties. The dutch have joined our cause, so know I have some extra divisions- however little- to use against the Germans. Thanks for the trick, I have no idea how I didn't think of it before. My economy is beginning to recover again, and now my divisions are still getting upgraded and are slowly regaining organization and health. Thanks again! :D

5. Tomcat

It is a good tactic when you are in a very bad situation, however I would try not to use it all the time, because lets face it, the computer is stupid and will fall for it every time. I try to use encirclements since it requires more work on behalf of the player.

6. Rommel2009

Rommel2009 Member

O yes thank you tomcat, the Germans are not the most advanced, especially their navy, but they are very strong on land, and more than adequate in the air, and i still think they are one of the most advanced in the game. They are def. the superpower in Europe.
    Your welcome MastahCheef! This is a great game and I really enjoy it.
    I also like to encircle enemies, it is quite easy with fast units like tanks, and although a little dangerous for the tanks, its not nearly as dangerous as the above mentioned strategy.

7. Tomcat

Totally agreed.

Too right it is risky, I once lost 6 Veteran Tank Divisions and 6 Mechanized Infantry trying to surround 60+ Russian Divisions in Russia, needless to say I bite of more then I could chew. That loss certainly put a hole in my offensive capability until reinforcments could be brought in from France, and Italy.:)

8. Rommel2009

Rommel2009 Member

Ill say! Thats a good chunk of Ind. Capacity! Just another big reason to be careful with encirclements. But if you could have pulled that off.... man what a prize!! =D

9. MastahCheef117

MastahCheef117 Member

I tried to do it in Hearts of Iron 3 (I got it a couple days ago), but it was so hard because their were so many provinces xD

10. Tomcat

Could you post some screen shots of the game for me, I am interested in getting the 3rd since I have all the others.

11. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

Its not that wondeful, most computers cant run it.

12. MastahCheef117

MastahCheef117 Member

Fix'd

xD

13. SOAR21

SOAR21 Member

Once, on playing France on very hard, I was literally pushed to the very limits. I only lived by planning ahead. I fortified two lines, one from Caen to Paris, and one from Paris to the west coast.

Although the fortifications were far from maxed out, I delayed the Germans long enough to build them up a little more. And my troops were at much more effectiveness than real 1940s France. I held out forever, although it wasn't until 1947 that I could actually attack (AI doesn't seem to help at all).