Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

NORK Suicide Sub?

Discussion in 'Military History' started by Poppy, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

3. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

yes. great site. was thinking of posting that one as well.

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Wonder what defence the world has come up with against torpedos? WW2 relied on spotting the thing and trying to out manouvre it...Have we any other defence against an "incoming" torpedo these days? Anti torpedo torpedo? Netting? Detonations close to the torp?

5. harolds

harolds Member

Especially interesting topic considering most torps nowdays are wire-guided with no wake.

6. Takao

Takao Ace

The US had been experimenting with a torpedo defense system for a few years, but it recently was abandoned.

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

So what does a huge aircraft carrier do? Bend over and kiss its backside goodbye?
    I thought of a netting system years ago...stored on the side of the ship and when needed it deploys from the side to hang from the railings to 20+ feet under the ship. The net is made of steel mesh and is weighted down...the idea is either to pre-detonate the torp or catch it with the mesh...with the ship ramping up to flank speed the net catches and drags the torp at an angle...
    I can see a type of hedgehog system that peppers the oncoming torp with explosions, the idea to either detonate the torp, push it off course or damage it so that it doesn't go off...None of this is a definite success but having no defence is just scary...need I remind the Americans the Australians have photographs of all the large American warship's (propellors) to enter into our waters...all without you mob knowing...
    Seems an achillies heel for sure...

8. Takao

Takao Ace

Until the net wraps itself around a propeller or two...These nets were discarded either prior to WW1 or during for very good reasons.
    Anti-Torpedo Nets
    It would be just like modern ATGMs, the more sophisticated the defenses, the more sophisticated the missile/torpedo.

Not Hedgehog, that was contact detonated...A normal shallow set DC would do, but timing would be the issue.

Pushing it off course would probably fail with modern torpedoes, as they run pre-set patterns to reacquire the target.

Call me unimpressed...We've been doing that to the Soviets/Russians since the 60's.

9. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Well at least the two ideas have merit!
    Wasn't meant to impress...it was meant to make you scared...very very scared... : )
    If I was building a navy to take on the US I would be investing heavily in submarines...
    (I remember an exercise 20 odd years ago I think - time goes so fast these days - where the Australian subs took out all shipping it was tasked to sink...and was never once detected by the Americans.)

10. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

11. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Hehe... I heard about that...here in Australia the uproar was about someone keeping a protected species as a pet! Comes in the wake of a couple of Kangaroo stories and one about a Kookaburra found in an American pet store/shop that they dressed up in silly clothing! The price was well over a thousand dollars...There are moves afoot to bring the Kookaburra home (even though it was purchased) - I wonder what the Americans would think if we started selling bald eagles here in Australia and even dressed them up in clothing for our amusement...
    The Florida bloke was an idiot for keeping a bloody dinosaur as a pet, Cassowarys are angry buggers and lethal...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]