Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Northwest Museum trip

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by JJWilson, Feb 5, 2018.

1. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone, this is really random, but I thought I'd let you all know I'm heading to the Pacific Northwest for the first time this weekend to go on a "Museum tour". On Friday Afternoon, me and my dad will be landing in Portland Oregon. Saturday we will go see Camp Withycombe which is home to the Oregon Military Museum, and then go to the Evergreen air and space museum, a place long on my aviation bucket list. Then Saturday night we will head to Seattle. Sunday will go see the Museum of Flight, and the Future of Flight Museum and then will take the Boeing Tour. The Final stop will be the Flying Heritage Museum where I will be able to see an authentic FW-190, Bf-109, Fi-156 Storch, and a restored De Havilland Mosquito, and Il-2 Sturmovik. Then Monday morning will be flying back to Phoenix. I'm pretty excited for this, and many of these museums I've been waiting to see for years. I'll let you all know how it went.

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Sounds awesome...don't forget to take some "eye candy" pictures of those aircraft please...And the Air and Space museum, not all of us can make it there.

JJWilson likes this.
  3. JJWilson

Will do CAC!

4. lwd

lwd Ace

Quite a bit more to see there if you have the time as well. Fort Columbia is nice. I haven't seen Ft Stevens but given that it was actually shelled durilng the war I think it would be worth a visit as well. There's a little museum that's pretty nice in Chehalis (about half way between Portland and Seattle right up I5). I suspect there are a few more as well. You may for instance still be able to detect portions of the coastal defense road up the Olympic Peninsula. Fort Lewis used to have a decent museum as well not sure of its status now.

JJWilson and CAC like this.
  5. JJWilson

I'm back! The trip was fantastic! The museums were great, and so was the Boeing tour, great to see how that company works (Kind of), and then seeing two states I have never been to, Oregon and Washington, both beautiful states.

CAC likes this.
  6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

We'll look forward to pictures. Sounds like you had a good time.

7. JJWilson

Yeah I had a blast! I'll try and upload the pictures hopefully sometime later tonight or tomorrow.

8. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Too bad you didn't include the Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum at Paine Field in Everett. This is Paul Allen's (of Microsoft fame) collection and well worth the time,
    But sounds like you had a good trip regardless. The Northwest is beautiful, even more so when the sun shines.

9. JJWilson

Oh no, we went there on Sunday, it was our last museum, it was fantastic!

10. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Yes, you did say that, sorry. I was hoping they would have a M5A1 light tank but no such luck. I did put in a request for them to get one. (not holding my breath).

JJWilson likes this.