Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Not strictly weapons,but relevent all the same..I think?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by sdkfz251, Sep 28, 2012.

1. sdkfz251

sdkfz251 Member

Hiyas All,
    I just registered to this site as I am extremely interested in all aspects of WW2 & WW1..You can't begin to understand the reason for WW2 without understanding the reasons for WW1 and it's immediate aftermath.
    One of the hidden weapons used by the Allies and Axis is Radar..The use of radar in the Battle of Britain is well documented,but the German radar systems are a bit more obscure in many cases..I have spent some time researching the Wurzburg Radar and Freya set-ups..Being an avid model builder I have managed to build a collection of the German radar..It is a fascinating story how the battle of the beams was one of the more obscure winning actions of WW2.
    What is actually left of the German radar system today though? I know of a few Wurzburg radars in various degrees of dis-repair,but is there anywhere a complete Freya early warning mast for instance? The German radar was supposed to be more efficient than the British,but due to them never realizing just how good it was the Germans never used it as it could have been,which is just as well.
    There were also strange contraptions used for sound locating..alongside searchlight batteries,range finding equipment and flak.
    Any more enlightenment on this area of the German military would be much appreciated.

Thank you...Steve in the USA

2. lwd

lwd Ace

Over on kbismark there's at least one frequent poster that has researched the German naval radars in some detail.