Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"Now the Hell Will Start"

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by JCFalkenbergIII, Feb 5, 2009.

1. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

God. I hope he does a better job and stays true to the REAL story then his last WWII film :rolleyes:

'HELL' TO THE YEAH FOR SPIKE LEE: Director's production company picks up rights to World War II book.

(February 4, 2009)
    *Spike Lee's production company, 40 Acres and a Mule, has acquired rights to Brendan Koerner's "Now the Hell Will Start," a nonfiction book about a private who went native in the jungle of South Asia during World War II.

Koerner, a contributing editor at Wired, tells the story of Private Herman Perry, a black soldier from Washington who, after shooting another soldier, went on the run in the Indo-Burmese jungle and eventually became assimilated into tribal culture.
    Lee will develop the material as a feature film, according to the Hollywood Reporter. The book was published last summer by Penguin Press.

EURweb.com - 'HELL' TO THE YEAH FOR SPIKE LEE: Director's production company picks up rights to World War II book.

2. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

3. TA152

TA152 Ace

4. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Interesting article. Prerry sounds like a real winner. I wonder how Lee will try to put a slant on this like you said.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I feel about it as you G

ents do. I will bet everything I own, that Spiked Leeches, will have some sort of racial slant in it-which is one of two reason why i'll not go and see the movie. However, I will give the book a reading if I come across a copy.

6. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

From what I understand Lee will be making an "Adaptation" of the book. You know. "Based on". So the odds are the story will be mutated to fit his views. I wish for once that some would stick to the actual story rather then promote an agenda :rolleyes:.

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Ah HAAAA, another spiked leeches work of FICTION in the works. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Another waste of celluloid-that is-IF they still use celluloid to film movies with these days?

Spiked Leeches has my vote for him to be on the cover of the magazine: "Dorks of the Decade".

And I thought that Kurt Vonnegut (SP?) had a wierd take on things with his book (& unfortunately--""movie"") Slaughterhouse Five----BARF!!! :wolf:

8. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

He will probably leave out the drug use and the shooting of the white officer LOL.

9. dead_celeb

dead_celeb Member

Pretty quick to jump to conclusions about something that isn't even in production yet chaps.

Maybe we should wait to see it before we judge it.

10. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

It easy to judge from his past movies especially his last one. If you look at his past pattern you will see a past extreme bias against the White race. I do not expect this project to be any different and can probably guarantee you that the Whites in the move will not be portrayed in a good light. I would not expect him to be objective in any way.

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

And deservedly so. I know enough about spiked leeches movies to be able to form an opinion about leeches movies-that will prove to be correct. I gave his ""block-buster"" Tuskeegee Airmen movie a try-and what was shown--mostly white bigotry towards the men in that unit-of which undoubtedly-happened but, THAT was leeches main focus in that movie that COULD have been a great movie-instead of focusing more on their training and Combat record.

So yeah-I have the right to formulate such an opinion - based on fact-that I do have on every movie that spiked leeches makes. Perhaps you have already forgotten (or never knew about) that Row, that spiked leeches aimed directly at Clint Eastwood about 2 yrs ago-that he said Clint Was a Biggot because he had not included a black actor in any of his two movies about Iwo Jima. Clint shot back at him and told him in classic Eastwood style-to "shut his face."

spiked leeches picked a fight with the wrong person-and badly lost the fight. As far as real history goes-in all the hours and hours of Doc footage I have seen that was shot in and around Iwo Jima-not once had I ever seen a shot that showed black soldiers landing on the beaches-or fighting inland on Iwo Jima-nor being shown driving LCIs and LSTs-nor even shown doing Steveador work unloading supplies from ships. Therefore-Clint Eastwood too, had never seen a black Marine-shown having anything to do w/ Iwo Jima. Also, as Clint Eastwood is known for actually doing research for hismovies to make them as honest as possible-while spiked leeches clearly does NOT do research or enough research-before making his movies or opening his Grand-Canyon-sized mouth and spouting his own bigotry on things.

12. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Like I said he past patterns and views in his movies speak for themselves.

C.Evans likes this.
  13. Malkhov

Malkhov Member

regardless of his take, that is an excellent book.

14. JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA Member

Hi;
    Good luck to Spike Lee on his next film-and Spike if you read this listen carefully; stick as close to the reality as you can! And get some ex military men for technical advisors AND LISTEN TO THEM. You could produce a masterpiece or two if you could only stop grinding your own axe. Your toughest audiences are going to be the actual veterans and if you can get them to say "Ya nailed it kid!" you will have arrived.
    JeffinMNUSA

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I too have read the book-and I thought it too-sucked. I don't dislike Kurt-but the guy definately was a wee bit too much on the VERY wierd side.

16. dead_celeb

dead_celeb Member

What's wrong with a bit of weird? Actually, can you define what you mean by 'weird'?

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

When you purposely mix WWII w/ some sort of wierdness futuristic stuff-THATS what I find that's wrong with being a bit wierd.

A definition of wierd: Kurt Vonneguts book-Slaughterhouse Five. The Movie as well. Also, Apocalypse Now-book and movie, same goes for A Clockwork Orange-and Tom Cruise.

18. dead_celeb

dead_celeb Member

Well, the first one doesn't serve as a definition of weird for me because I haven't read it or seen it. But I looked it up, and the new York Times review on its release said- "you'll either love it, or push it back in the science-fiction corner".

Apocalypse Now is based on Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad about European imperialism. I found the book interesting, I can never quite make my mind up about the movie. Its visually very stunning, though.

I enjoyed the novel of a Clockwork Orange a lot, though I don't think the movie is one of Kubricks best. It's dated quite badly, for one thing.

I will accept Tom Cruise as a definition of weird, though.

Maybe its just that you prefer straight war movies to anything that is a bit off the beaten track or too 'Sci-Fi'?

19. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

[[[[Partly yes and partly no. I can't stand movies like Castle Keep-though I liked the stars in it including: Burt Lancaste,Peter Falk and Bruce Dern.

Odd Angry Shot was another off the beaten track as far as war movies go--but this movie was excellent. Another wierd warmovie I do not care for is: "Go Tell the Spartans" even though Burt Lancaster was in it as well. Some I like,some I dislike--just depends]]]]

Pip pip & cheerio. C.