Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

number of japanese planes lost to AA

Discussion in 'Air War in the Pacific' started by SwampYankee, Jul 5, 2010.

1. SwampYankee

SwampYankee recruit

Greetings,
    Are there any good statistics on the number or percentage of japanse aircraft lost to flack? In particular I am trying to understand how effective naval flack was including the effects of proximity fuses.
    thanks

2. lwd

lwd Ace

I have seen stats on this but not sure just how good they are. Also remember that the purpose of AA fire was to protect from aircraft. Shooting down the aircraft was useful but not required in meeting that critieria. Will post what I can find in a bit. You might look over on the kbismarck forum. I think stats were posted there in a discussion on km AAA.

3. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

We did try to gather some statistics here but the timeframe was 41-42 so no proximity fuses.

http://www.ww2f.com/war-pacific/36874-japanese-naval-aviation-losses-41-42-a.html

Could be a good time to revive that thread I have some data for all the major battles from japanese sources but it's second hand I don't have the original unit histories and don't read Japanese :-(. Is there any way to post an excel file to the forum? typing in the data is bad enough but converting the tables to HTML or bitmaps is a reab bore.

4. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

TOS, I tried to load a random excel document as a test and it would not allow me to. A simple solution may be to recreate the file as a pdf. Simply open your version of Adobe and open the following File>Create PDF>from File>your file. This should transfer the whole document into a pdf format within moments, which you can then add as an attachment within your post. Hope this helps.

5. Takao

Takao Ace

Why not just ZIP up the spreadsheet? According to the "valid file extensions", .zip is a valid file extension.

6. lwd

lwd Ace

There's some good discussion as well as a table or two here:
    What was the most effective naval anti-aircraft gun of WW2? - Page 2 - Naval History Forums

A bunch of more detailed tables here including at least one that seems to be exactly what you are looking for:
    *** closed the page and pasted the above link a second time the references below should have it though.***
    look for tables V and VI.

Here are the links for a couple of reports one of which includes the above:
    HyperWar: Anti-Suicide Action Summary
    HyperWar: Antiaircraft Action Summary--World War II