Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Obituaries

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Kai-Petri, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Kendusimmus likes this.
  2. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I was saddened as well to hear of her demise. The autopsy is being performed to determine cause of death, drugs haven't been rules out but no illicit drugs were found at the hotel room, only prescriptions. Accidental drowning, is also being considered.

3. belasar

belasar Court Jester Staff Member Patron  

She had a great vocal range, but like far too many was never really able to cope with being a star.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I never really cared for her music, but may she rest in peace.

5. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Found a pretty decent article on the lady, in Mother Jones online.

Here's what we knew about Whitney Houston: My God, could she sing.

That was clear from the moment she burst on the scene in 1985 with her eponymously-titled debut packed with an astonishing slate of what would be number-one hits, and pop mainstays. "The Greatest Love of All" "How Will I Know" "Saving All My Love For You" established her as a megastar—subsequently cemented with "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" and "I Will Always Love You" and pretty much any song where she'd lift her soaring vocals upward into that trademark key change. It would be fair to say that her talent was off the charts had she not spent so much time on them.

Goto:

The Two Whitneys We Knew | Mother Jones

6. belasar

I can't say I was a great fan, never purchased any of her albums, but I cannot deny that she was a gifted singer. A pity she could never be at peace with herself or her fame.

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Very nicely and diplomaticaly said Belasar. Much more tactful than I did ;)

8. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow Patron  

This is sad, especially at such a young age. Even if drugs were not present, they do take a toll on the body and may have contributed to her early demise. In the words of the great historian and archaeologist Indiana Jones, "It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage."

9. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Ace

With a lot of the others here, never bought her music, although I did listen to quite a bit of it over the years, played over radio stations while I was out jogging. She did have quite the voice. Megastar or not, its always sad to hear of another human passing.

(and kudos to TD-Tommy for the Indy reference! Thought I was the only one who remembered...and used....that line!)

10. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I wasn't a "Great Fan" either, I don't remember every buying a single album, or single she made but I did listen to her on the FM stations whenever she was "doing her thing", I bought a couple of "cassettes" at truck stops that had her songs in the "list", but not her specifically as the artist. Loved her voice, much like I appreciated her cousin's (Dionne Warwick) voice.

However, that said I absolutely fell in love with her voice and performance after 1991 when she put out the best American "National Anthem" at a Super Bowl that has ever been sung. From that moment on, all other's renditions were not only weak, they were nearly embarrassing to the song itself and the singers.

And when she did the cover for Dolly Pardon's "I will always love you" I was hooked on Whitney's voice.

11. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

R.I.P. Whitney

12. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I actually preferred her first album (1985 or 86 ) to the chart topping "I want to dance with somebody" (1987). I can still recall the MTV or Music box at the time playing the video all through the summer... Personally I feel it was Mr brown who brought the drugs into the "game" but not absolutely sure as the stars have their own doctors who practically can deliver anything like we saw from Mr Jackson case. :( :(

13. 36thID

36thID Member

What's the difference between Whitney and my old 1986 GMC hunting truck ??

My truck might be able to hit 50....

14. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

That was inappropriate Steve, and not funny in the least. Elvis made it even less time (42), and Hank Williams Sr. was even less of a long run (29). Still great artists in their own right and have little to do with the top speed of your GMC.

15. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

BTW, for those of you have never heard her do the Star Spangled Banner, every American singer should lower their heads in respect for this range and choice of starting key, sure it was less than a "live" performance in some respects (pre-recorded music), scroll down to Super Bowl 1991 and listen to the best (to my ears) National Anthem ever by a modern artist.

Goto:

Whitney Houston

16. belasar

Ditto!

17. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

Just to defend the many we lose to the fatal habits, acknowledging that Whitney is not yet on this list, however since I have a high respect for her skills, I also know there is a dividing line where a habit becomes a disease that cannot always be conquered as I have known close friends that tried their best and couldn't do it. After the habit is established it is only the most fortunate that are able to conquer the demons and many of our vets know the truth of this statement. I would hope we are all respectful of the skills and gifts these individuals have given the rest of us and hold them in esteem for what they created for their fans. How many of us conquer all of our own demons? Those artists who have had short lives due to their illness should not be remembered for the illness but for their contributions through their arts or in the case of the veteran his or her service to their country.

In prevention of this same suffering of others who may yet be young----your very first encounter with drugs or alcohol may be the first time you trigger a dependency that if allowed to grow may be fatal for your bodies disposition. I have known alcoholics that could never quit from their first drink. I have know drug users who always thought they were in control and were consumed by it. We can only warn our youth of these dangers....if they experiment the odds are not very good for them. Perhaps when they know more about DNA they will know before hand who is susceptible to these problems. Otherwise it tricks many who become victims of this disease and cannot recover......do all of us realize and consider that it is a disease? If not it is rare that we can do anything to help otherwise and it takes a very heavy toll in our society in crime and family suffering.

brndirt1 likes this.
  18. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

To add even less credibility to their misplaced "faith", the Westboro group is planning on staging a protest at Whitney's funeral as well. They not only have no shame, they will go to any lengths to attract attention to themselves.

Goto:

Whitney Houston's Funeral To Be Picketed By Westboro Baptist Church

I
    can only add this 'toon which seems apropos;

[​IMG]

19. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Shambhala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv9DwzU3K
    What kind of God creates imperfect people, then blames us for our sins?

20. Clementine

Clementine Member

I always struggled with that, too. And I wondered how a perfect God could created imperfect people. Even with free will, if you are created by a perfect being how do you make bad choices?

Not to turn this into a drawn out conversation about God, because I respect we all have our own beliefs, but I have come to believe that we are perfect in our "imperfectness," if you will. When we see animals killing each other for territory or survival, we think it is natural and we don't think they are evil. I am not equating us to animals (although I do know some people who might fit that description) but I just think that maybe it is in our nature, too, to try to gather as much as we can and jealously guard our own and "fight" for survival, and I have come to believe that God doesn't judge us so much for our human nature, which sometimes tends be bad, and even in the best case is imperfect, but rather he applauds (or judges) us for our ability to overcome that nature, to be kind and generous and and selfless.

That's a very simple view of it, of course, because then you do have all sorts of nuances, such as figuring out people like Hitler, who was evil by any sane person's definition. But much to my poor fanatically Catholic mother's dismay because it deviates from all she was taught, this is what I've come to believe. It just makes not sense that a perfect God creates imperfect people and then condemns them for just that.

Back to the subject at hand, I was not a great fan of Houston's either, I liked her music when she first started and then she kind of turned me off when she became that somewhat rebellious, angry Whitney during her marriage. But one thing struck me when she died, I just remembering that when she started I thought of how she had it all - she was gorgeous, but even more importantly, she seemed to just have such a zest for life, she seemed to sparkle, and she had that tremendous talent. I remember thinking how most of us would be so thrilled to have a fraction of what she had, and yet she had it all. I makes me sad that apparently she did not.

But ultimately, she is someone's daughter and she is someone's mother. And her death has left a gaping hole in their lives. And that is a tragedy.

Poppy likes this.