Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Ocean City man fought in Battle of the Bulge ...

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by sniper1946, Jan 8, 2011.

1. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

OCEAN CITY -- There was a time, in the heat of a World War II battle, that William Stockett picked up a boot and found a severed foot inside.

[​IMG]
    "I dropped that so fast," the Ocean City resident said, shaking his head at the memory.

A native of Baltimore, the 87-year-old Stockett, who will be 88 on Jan. 14, earned a medal for serving in the Battle of the Bulge while in the U.S. Army's 84th Infantry Division from 1943-1946. Stockett was awarded three battle stars during his tenure for service in Africa and Germany, as well as during the Battle of the Bulge.
    When he shot down an enemy airplane and the pilot died, he was struck with guilt and emotion.

Read full story..
    Ocean City man fought in Battle of the Bulge | delmarvanow.com | The Daily Times

2. Yono

Yono Member

He lost the tip of one finger in an accident not related to combat, while moving cobblestones. The doctor said he would have to amputate to the first joint, but Stockett resisted.

"Doc, I'm a guitarist," he pleaded.

For four hours, the doctor worked on saving the finger -- and succeeded.

"I just made that up," Stockett said with a smile. "I wasn't a guitarist. But it worked."

I cracked up at that, much respect for this guy!!!