Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Off to College

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Smiley 2.0, Aug 17, 2015.

1. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

enjoy your time

2. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

I have my first classes today! Wish me luck! :)

3. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Big day and the best of luck but I think you have what it takes already inside you. Just work hard !!!!

Gaines

4. lwd

lwd Ace

One thing that may tilt it toward K-12 as far as pay goes is that in some areas they will cover your student loans while you are teaching. It varies by state but if you have big enough student loans it can be a significant plus.

Smiley 2.0 likes this.
  5. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Today my first class went well. On my way to my second class however I went to the wrong room and didn't realize it until the instructor started roll call. The room my class was in was 138 but I accidentally went to 139!

6. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Don't get too excited kid. You have to go back tomorrow too.

7. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I hope it went well. My daughter is liking her school far more than she thought. She want to go to Alabama, but Troy is paying her to go there. We took the money.

8. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Hey guys I just wanted to give you all an update. Last week I became a pledge in a fraternity and has been one of the best decisions I have ever made, although I have to wait all semester for initiation. I have had the chance to meet even more people and there are now more opportunities are presenting themselves. Classes have been going okay. World History II has been a good one but I have been taking a communications class that see as a way as improving my speaking skills which is something I have been working on for a long time. I will try to keep posting but it has been getting more busy every week. But it's good to see that you all are doing alright! ;)

Cheers,
    Dave

9. lwd

lwd Ace

If you want to improve your speaking skills I've heard very good things about Toastmasters. There should be an on campus or local branch. Also look into the debate team. A class in logic can also be good in that regard.

10. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

What I wouldn't do to be in your shoes all over again. Work hard and play hard. Enjoy it, its over in a blink.

Smiley 2.0 likes this.
  11. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

What fraternity did you rush?

12. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Thanks for the update and for coming back despite your busy shedule.

13. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

The ability to communicate well and easily is important no matter what field you go into, but it's especially important if you want to be a teacher. Take the communications class seriously.

Smiley 2.0 likes this.
  14. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Probably I Felta Thi, either that or Tappa Kegga Brewe. Those are the best ones.

15. Takao

Takao Ace

Ahhhh...Tappa Kegga Bru...And then we grew up...And founded Alcoholics Unanimous.

16. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Yep, our boy is growing up so fast.

17. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

I rushed Alpha Tau Omega. It's one of the smaller fraternities on campus but that is what I love about it. The biggest perk for a small fraternity is that everyone knows each other. I've already made good connections and friendships with some of the members and a lot of the new pledges. The past few years ATO has had very small pledge classes ranging 3-7 pledges. This year the chapter have 21 pledges which is the biggest pledge class they ever had so they are all very excited about that. There is a lot of things that I have to do like assignments, tasks, duties, etc. that I have to do through the course of this semester. At the end of the semester the actives take another vote on who will be initiated so I hope I do a good enough job and now screw up anything throughout the course of this semester.

One of the things I like about my history class is that we will have to start learning to look between the lines with documents, etc. The way the professor put it is that we have to look at the text, the context and the subtext. I think I will get a lot out of that class. My intro to religious studies class is going to be a bit of a challenge, but I really like the professor. Here's an example, one day during class we were in a deep discussion and in the middle of something he was saying he said, "You know we should have this class in a bar."

One of the requirements to stay in the fraternity is that we have to maintain at least a 2.5 or 2.25 GPA so my studies and work are important. It's also nice because the pledges in ATO must have at least five study hours in their chapter room. So I will always have the chance to get a lot of work done.

Cheers :cheers:,
    Dave

18. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Everyone's leaving for Labor Day weekend. It's like a ghost town here on campus

19. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

20. Takao

Takao Ace

Yeah...I celebrating Labor Day by laboring. We're shorthanded and the work needs to get done. Ehh...money's money.