Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Off to Shoreham....

Discussion in 'Living History' started by Martin Bull, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

... I hope !
    For the Aerojumble next Saturday. I've given up asking if anyone else is going ! ;)

2. Martin Bull

.... and back with : -

A nice 1942-dated 20mm Hispano high-explosive shell

Some engine fragments from Mosquito NFXII HK123, shot down in 1943

A great haul of books; D M Crook's 'Spitfire Pilot' in original dustwrapper ( :cool: :cool: ), a presentation copy of Air Cdre John Searby's memoirs, 'Night Intruder' by J Howard Williams ( looks like Erich's sort of thing... ), a first edition in dustwrapper of E Bishop's 'Wooden Wonder', McKee's 'Mosquito Log'.... all at very keen prices.

That's it - the season's over :(

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Martin, and WHEN can we get you interested in collecting medals and badges? ;) :D

4. Martin Bull

Strange what interests us, isn't it ?
    Medals, badges and regalia have never really caught my imagination whereas I get really 'fired up' over relics, bits and pieces of old aircraft, munitions.....

Just picked up on e-bay two nice little items - a 20mm 151 HE Luftwaffe round :cool: plus a very clean 20mm FLAK HE :cool: , both 1943 dated....oops, there I go again.... :D :D

5. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Lucky man! Great books there Martin....

Sorry to say that I am not able to travel to the UK on short notice, but I REALLY SHOULD one of these years visit all the airfields and those kind of gatherings. And flying there costs next to nothing nowadays... :D

6. Martin Bull

Let us know when you're coming, Stevin...

Hmmm, let's see - there's an aerojumble on November 9th in the Midlands, and later in the month the big military bookfair at Duxford....so many temptations ! :rolleyes: :D

7. Stevin

Stevin Ace

The 9th is not do-able...

Military bookfair at Duxford?? :eek: ...<Stevin biting his knuckles>...

8. Martin Bull

Mmmmmmmm - 24th November in the old Officer's Mess ( almost worth going just to see the building ).

I went two years ago and came home with two carrier bags full of books and original Air Ministry photos...... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Martin--im glad you collect Brass--but--one of these days--even if I have to fly to England and kidnap you, i'll get you into collecting Wehrmacht Regalia, even if I have to rent a Lorry, tie you up and toss you in back. We then will drive to the financial institution where your currency is sitting--just waiting to be withdrawn and spent on MILITARIA. :D

Next is that we would drive to germany where once there--ill take off your blindfold--and set you loose at Herr Menzels Antiquitaten shop in Goslar. He even had some Artillery shells and Grenades from ww1. :D

10. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Carl, Martin won't have any monies left after he is done at the Duxford bookfair... :D

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Heh heh heh, not if I get to him first ;) :D

12. Martin Bull

What really worries me about awards/medals/regalia etc is : FAKES

You can't really fake a 20mm shell or a first edition, or a Rolls Royce Merlin piston.... [​IMG]

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

BUT, I know who some of the good dealers are, so no problem there and when can we start spending your savings? ;) :D

14. Martin Bull

Savings ? :( Are you kidding ...?? :( :(

Be even less after Whitwick this weekend.... [​IMG]

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I know how you feel--I have no savings worth speaking of either :( I thought I was doing pretty well and had saved about $3,000 in 6 months--but as usual--SOMETHING just HAS to happen that makes you spend it--not talking about militaria either--darn emergencies. :(

16. Martin Bull

Ah yes, Carl - priorities, priorities...... :(

Anyhow, all ready to get up at 6 am tomorrow for the drive up to the 'Bomber Country' aerojumble..... ;) [​IMG] :D

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I agree--I just HAD to have a car to use to go to work in--soon as I do find a new job. I figured why spend $2,000 on repairs when I could get a newer "ride" for $1,500. Thats where almost all the savings went. $300.00 more went to my latest and unexpected gunshow purchase. I guess if I HAVE to sell that new purchase--I can get a few undred quid more than I had spent in the first place. ;)

18. Popski

Popski Member

G'day Martin

Any nice books at Duxford??

In the town I live in there is a nice rumour that in ponds(splish splash) on a factory terrain in 1944 the Germans discarded of recovered British bomber engines. The ponds were very deep and because of the weight the engines they must have sunk deep into the mud. Now they are planning to build houses nearby but they haven't done any groundsearch for polution and $$$. Will keep you posted

Popski

19. Martin Bull

Hello Popski - I wondered where you'd been to recently !

After all that, I missed Duxford due to family visiting commitments :( But I've had good hunting for books in other areas recently [​IMG]

Those engines do sound interesting ! The thought of a haul of Merlins and Bristol Centaurus - wow ! :eek: Do keep us all posted.....

20. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Hi Martin,

I just picked up BEAM BOMBERS - The Secret War of No. 109 Sqn. by Michael Cumming.

As it is a Mossie Sqn, I feel you might know the book and can tell me if it is any good?

Stevin