Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Oh nothing really just wanted to share

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Biak, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

I think Putin is just trying throw a smoke screen and probably is trying to make those intelligence officers scape goats when everyting goes sour. You can't tell me they didn't know what the Ukrainians had in the way of weapons. Stupid journalists are always blaming whenever the US is giving any type of aid humanitarian or military. Also there are web sites that spill everything too how big a standing army a country has reserves, weapons small and large, tanks, support equiptment aircraft etc. One of the ressons we could hardly surprise the Russians on anything some journalist would hear about it and blab it on the air, in the papers or Internet. I think Putin knows things are going bad and is trying TCHA/to cover his ass. Or is that CYOA/cover your own ass. This war must be costing Russia big not just the millions in munitions. Those missiles are expensive one of the reasons so many militaries have gone to multiple rocket launchers as rockets are far more cost saving. I wonder if the Ukrainians captiured any artillery rounds to fire at the Russians with the Russian artillery they csptured.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
    Kai-Petri likes this.
  2. Prospero Quevedo

image.jpeg image.jpeg Well here's something you can put in a large trunk or back of a pick up or suv. The navy and army was interested in a way to rescue downed pilots as in Korea they had only a ten percent recovery rate. A study of a inflatable plane was researched. The plane made of heavy rubber would be dropped to the pilot who would hand pump up his plane and fly to safety. Unfortunately during testing a pilot got too aggressive with the plane trying to make it do maneuvers it was never designed for the control wires snapped and eventually the stress folded the wing the plane plummeted down the pilot bailed out but his parachute malfunctioned and the navy and Air Force cancelled the project. Then years later Goodyear created a new type of rubber composite that when inflated was really strong they took a stab at the inflatable plane and did good, but the navy and Air Force decided not to pursue the idea as helicopters were now much better and safer and could fly in and out of heavy terrain. The plane was packed into a parachute capsule and could take off on most any surface, water, land hard, land soft, snow. Now that should be a great seller for weekend flyers like maybe better than the ultra lites.

3. Prospero Quevedo

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Wow the Ukrainians downed a ka 52 bet lots of military experts would love to take that thing apart and check out how Russian technology works and how they are building there latest electronics. Probably all subbed out to Chinese manufacture. I've got two ka50s think I'll keep the black one the black shark and the other is in a typical rusdian camo I think I will try to covert it to a ka52.
    I wonder if the v was painted on after the crash to show the Ukrainians claim it or it was painted on there by the Russians trying to fool anti aircraft crews.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

And now to a packed arena...

Ukrainian girl who sang Let it Go in a Kyiv bomb shelter sings to packed arena for charity concert - ABC News

Singing the Ukraine National Anthem...

Ukraine's freedom has not yet perished, nor has her glory,

Upon us, fellow Ukrainians, fate shall smile once more.

Our enemies will vanish like dew in the sun,

And we too shall rule, brothers, in a free land of our own.

Chorus:

We'll lay down our souls and bodies to attain our freedom,

And we'll show that we, brothers, are of the Cossack nation.

We'll lay down our souls and bodies to attain our freedom,

And we'll show that we, brothers, are of the Cossack nation.

Kick arse.

Half Track likes this.
  5. Prospero Quevedo

Watched it, it was cute, they say the girl is safe in Poland with her grandmother. Hope the war ends soon and she's reunited with her family. They say for the most part the fighting seems to have quieted down at least on most of the ground war but the Russians have increased bombardment with missiles. I wonder if the war on the ground is fading due to lack of not just fuel but munitions. I hope the Chinese thing falls thru, I hope the Chinese let Putin rot.

6. Prospero Quevedo

Been watching comedies to lighten the mood. Watched operation petticoat again, and support your local gunfighter and sheriff. Also some Shirley temple films. Researching tanks and planes, particularly the g21, g44, g73. Trying to figure our how to convert one of my goose to retractable floats. Some have had this conversion done they say it helps stream line the plane but the clipping of the wing does reduce the lift by a bit. My goose is a very early one with two prop, need to find a suitable three prop, might be fun to make a couple into turbos.

Half Track likes this.
  7. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

It seems the Russians are getting new men and supplies, they want Mariuopol, but the forces above Kiev are turning west following the Polish border. Plan to close the Gate to west next ? They bombed Odessa By their fleet for the first time. The Russian losses are said by the Finnish Army to be half of the 9 year losses in Afganishtan. And all that in three Weeks.

Half Track likes this.
  8. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

9. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I think I see it.

Is it here?

[​IMG]
    Or here?

[​IMG]

Prospero Quevedo and Slipdigit like this.
  10. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Hmmm...a little wonky, so much as to be unrecognisable...But since its the 1st Marine Division (and therefore honorary Australians) that will do... : )

[​IMG]

USMCPrice likes this.
  11. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

The top one is 1st Marine Division, the bottom is 2d Marine Division they were at Guadalcanal as well. The 1st MarDiv has 1st, 5th, and 7th Marines as their infantry regiments. The 2d MarDiv had 2d, 6th and 8th Marines as it's infantry regiments. On the initial landings (7 Aug 1942) 7th Marines were guarding Samoa, so 2d Marines were attached to the 1st Division. 7th Marines were eventually relieved by another unit and rejoined the Division on 18 September. 6th and 8th Marines joined the battle at later dates. The 1st MarDiv began withdrawing on 12 December, so 2d Marines were actually the only regiment there for the entire battle. Divisional structure at the time included a Raider and Parachute battalion, numbered after their parent divisions. 1st Raider and 1st Parachute battalions (and 2d Marines) made the initial landings against Tulagi, Gavutu, and Tanambogo, where they were strongly opposed by Japanese forces, unlike the main landings near Lunga, where 1st and 5th Marines landed, that were unopposed. 2d Raider Battalion raided Makin Island in the Gilberts from submarines on 17–18 Aug 1942, then moved to Guadalcanal where they later undertook the 29 day "Long Patrol". The Raiders are credited with being the first American special operations forces to see combat in WWII. President Roosevelt's son James was the 2d Raider battalion XO.

Raider Patch

[​IMG]

This was carried over into the modern day, MARSOC-Marine Raiders patch.

MARSOC-Marine Raiders

[​IMG]

Then there's the US Army's Americal Division. The first element to arrive was the 164th Infantry (North Dakota National Guard) on 13 October 1942, making them the first US Army unit to be engaged in offensive operations in WWII. They participated in the big 24-27 October fight and fought so well the Marines took to calling them the "164th Marines", no small feat!

Americal Division patch

[​IMG]

So, your Southern Cross is well represented in US military heraldry.

Half Track and CAC like this.
  12. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Every State and Territory in Australia has its own flag…This is my flag…The Northern Territory. Featuring the territory colours of black, white and ochre…The Southern across (only one with a black background and sits against the pole.) And our desert rose.

upload_2022-3-23_20-32-50.png

Half Track likes this.
  13. Prospero Quevedo

Hey watched this vid about fighting sloop yarria she was like all over and fought like hell and fought a japanese cruiser force and went down slugging. She looked a lot like a castle class Corvette. Main guns three 4 inch AA. Built in austrailia

14. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Ten million people have now fled their homes in Ukraine because of the Russian invasion, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees says.

As well as the 3.6 million who have left for neighbouring countries, another estimated 6.5 million people are thought to be displaced inside the war-torn country itself.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-60555472

And more are coming. We will be in trouble getting a place for these people as homes.....

Half Track likes this.
  15. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Welp, winters still here. Went home to my childhood stomping grounds last week and played a round of golf in 74 degree weather last Thursday.
    Returned to the Compound yesterday and drove the last mile of the trip through 10 inches of heavy wet snow.

Half Track likes this.
  16. Half Track

Half Track Well-Known Member

I’m about to soon siphon and run the gas out of my snow blower. The lawnmower is in order soon.

Prospero Quevedo and Biak like this.
  17. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I started the lawnmower up last week just to hear it run and charge the battery :D It'll be another month and a half before I can even think of mowing the yard.

18. Prospero Quevedo

It was interesting watching this vid on thev
    They say humanitarian efforts are reaching their limits and they will need lots more help. The feds and other organizations should do when we had katrinia and setup donation centers across the country for water food and money for other needed supplies like medical. I really believe that Putin violated the cease fire because he realized if he kept them trapped the ukrainians would use the food water and medical suppiles faster. Also trying to get Ukraine to buckle from the civilian deaths. Trying to break their morale. I thought it was funny that reported walked down a residential street and just about every driveway had a captured Russian AFV. Idk what they are doing with them lie storing supplies and having them ready if they have to evacuate under fire???. I think it's something how lots of Russians respect the ukainian president more than their own.
    Was that crazy that report was talking to people on the streets and the police show up and take the person away. And now the reporters are being threatened with imprisonment or deportation.

19. Prospero Quevedo

Going to write Biden again wonder if they really read my mails I get thank yous for writing but that could just be s computer response.

20. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades