Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Oh nothing really just wanted to share

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Biak, Jan 23, 2013.

1. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

"Australopithecus africanus" should be "afarensis", sorry.

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

"According to the researchers: “The genes that participate in hibernation are present in nearly all mammals, including human beings. It is a question of when and how they are expressed that makes the phenomenon of hibernation possible."

You have to think ad mixing from other species AND/OR we have them from way back...From before we were even Apes...

3. OpanaPointer

It's random that way, so not much chance a particular genome will gain dominance in the great race. Better to have the odd mad scientist hard at work in his mom's basement.

4. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

We're playing around with systemic hibernation aka: Cryogenic's. But only for short duration.

5. OpanaPointer

I was chilled down to next to dead when I had my heart surgery. Recovered with no problems. We still can't freeze a mammal and have it survive. Frogs, yeah, some have natural antifreeze in their blood, but those are exceptions.

"The wood frog is built to partially freeze and “play dead.” First, water flows out of its internal organs, which eventually forms into a surrounding protective layer of ice. Meanwhile, its body accumulates urea and glucose, which act as an antifreeze, keeping the individual cells in vital organs from freezing."

6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Yes the problem is that the water freezes and expands - Imagine a snow flake forming inside a cell...The jagged edges smash the cell walls destroying the cell (including brain cells obviously) - So actual freezing is never going to work IMO - BUT - You can do two things to get around this...Either put in an anti freezing agent that permeates all cells - or drop the temperature to 1 degree C - You get similar results without the broken cells.
    But a "long sleep" doesnt need to be so hard-core. - A sufficient reduction in the aging process is all that is needed not necessarily "suspended animation."

Ive thought about this a few times over the years - Thinking similar technology can be used for prisoners...Imagine a huge 6 storey building. Inside this building are thousands of criminals hung upright in their cryo chamber (think similar to Han Solo)
    upload_2023-11-23_9-40-0.jpeg

They are re-animated every 5 years for "rehabilitation training" - if the prisoner refuses he/she will be put immediately back into cryo. Every five years that they do a years worth of rehab. This until the sentence is served - The kicker here is that the prisoner keeps on aging whilst in cryo and will die at a normal age.
    This approach allows for far far more prisoners at a low cost to the tax payer - If the prisoner wants to waste their life in cryo, let them. If they want to turn a corner and become contributing members of society they pass their rehab and arrange for release. This way JUSTICE can be done in terms of sentencing without the obscene cost to tax payers

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
  7. Biak

Hibernation isn't the same as freezing. Those folks with more money than sense are not going to awaken. Particularly without their extremities.

8. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

9. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

10. OpanaPointer

Sea copying land? "If you don't move it will eat you. If you move it will eat you quicker."

CAC likes this.
  11. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

OpanaPointer likes this.
  12. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I saw this the other day...And thought once again the battle field changes...this and its offspring could attack missiles, drones. helicopters...Any ground target and even slow moving aircraft...A drone on steroids...I think this will accelerate the unmanned/autonomous technology...Each country will field their drones/robots first against each other and will only begin fielding people once the machines run out...So the winner may well be those that have MORE autonomous machines than the other.

13. OpanaPointer

Wasn't that the scenario for the third Terminator movie?

CAC likes this.
  14. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

And Doctor Who...Daleks Vs the Tharls...

OpanaPointer likes this.
  15. Biak

It was 47 years ago I was getting ready to leave St. Francis hospital to go home and crash after 36 hours without sleep. In a few days I’ll hug my baby girl & and two Grandsons!
    Merry Christmas!

OpanaPointer likes this.
  16. OpanaPointer

Back from the ER. Wife now agrees we should pay someone to mow the lawn.

CAC and Biak like this.
  17. Biak

I sold my snowblower last spring. Time for others to step it up and keep the damn road clear. I can always get the H2 out. That beast goes through 16-18” of snow IF I need out!
    Be Well my friend.

OpanaPointer likes this.
  18. OpanaPointer

My biggest worry is that they'll try to keep me going long after it's a good idea. Me and Boss Lady have talked about that. If you don't have a living will you're at the mercy of med school students.

19. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Do you have euthanasia laws in America?

20. Biak

Five of Nine of my immediate Paternal ancestors (aunts-uncles-Dad) died from Alzheimer's. Another of Cancer. Another of Diabetes, one hit 99 and I'm doing my best to emulate him. Three cousins have Alzheimer's now. On the Maternal side, never knew my grandfather. He died either before I was born or shortly after. Grandmother, Aunts & Mom didn't make it past their early 80's.

Myself ? I'm going to speak my mind, Live like there's no tomorrow and spend the remaining years remembering all the good Times. There were far more good than not so good.

Okay, where do I send the fee for Otto's therapy sessions ?
    You rogues know me better than anyone by now.