Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Oh nothing really just wanted to share

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Biak, Jan 23, 2013.

1. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

A retired policeman...Zip Nolan of the forum...Donuts and coffee for lunch? Or you having to cut back now???

2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Bobby, Bobby, Bobby, I'd like to offer my sincere condolences. To be subjected to that type of weather this early in the season gives me no end of grief for you. I only hope you have a goodly supply of sun-block (SPF 80 or higher) and mosquito repellant with large amounts of "Deet". The added responsibility you must now be facing as to keeping the yard mowed, BBQ grill grilling and local liquid replenishment establishment busy only compounding your dire circumstances also leads me to place you on my 'prayer list'.
    I on the other hand will not be facing such straits for, at the least, another 6 to 8 weeks. The grass is nestled beneath 20-30 inches of snow right now, slowly thawing after the past 6 months of Winter. The 6 to 8 inches of snow forecast for tonight will only further enhance the ground moisture allowing our yard to flourish during our 6 weeks of expected Summer.
    I feel a tinge of guilt to admit this but; today the Sun is shining and the temperature jumped from 15 F to the mid 30's in a matter of hours. Not to be gloating but this will be remedied soon as the front moving in should rectify that and hold our conditions here to the mid 20's with visibility under a 1/4 mile.
    I may as well admit also that although the conditions are not the same as at Augusta National our attempts at Golf are not nearly as difficult as expected. By replacing the usual 'pullcart' with a sled to carry the clubs you can also use the sled to advance down the hills scattered around the links. The only down side is when you have to take a "drop" the ball disappears into a crevasse of granular precipitation leading to a rather difficult shot. That, and the occasional tripping caused by wearing snowshoes.

Keep 'cool' my friend,
    Biak

3. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

See what y'all haters did....now it's raining....raining and overcast....rained all night.... lightninged and thundered too....ruined my beauty sleep....y'all ruined it. But it's still a rather nice and slightly breezy 67 degrees right now and it should top out in the mid-70s though.

And no Mr. Silly Englishman I seldom drink coffee and I haven't had any doughnuts since Mardi Gras thank you very much. I dined on a chicken schwarma plate at my good friend Hameed's eatery, Almaza's Mediterranean Cuisine. He's really from Iran but he tells everyone he's from Persia. Most people don't know the difference anyway.

4. Biak

Rain? Oh yeah right, that globular wet stuff. Must be hard to shovel that ! [​IMG]

5. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

No shoveling necessary. It soaks up quite well and makes the grass and flowers grow more faster. That means I can ride my lawnmower and smoke 4 or 5 stogies in the process more often. Life's a b1tch sometimes.

6. Biak

Hmmm wonder how the lawn mower would work as a snowblower?

On the bright side; sitting here watching The Masters & Tigger is starting to self-destruct.

7. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

A snow blowing riding mower? I dunno. Maybe if you took the mulching attachment off it might work out ok. Why not just get a snow blower instead? Or pay some Mexicans to do it. Y'all got Mexicans up there? They are all over the place here, and they work so fast it makes you get tired just watching them.

8. Biak

Just sold my two-stage snowthower a few weeks ago. At 10 hp & 28 inches wide it couldn't keep up with the blizzards we've been having. Using a 7' back blade and for the deep stuff the front bucket works but next year I'm ordering a 60" snowthower for the tractor. The local labor force around here is pretty much made up of shade-tree mechanics and Jack-of-a-few trades. Mostly we're self reliant; you break it, you fix it.

9. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Don't know much about snow blowers. Not much need for them down here you know. Sounds like a winter is a pain in the ass up there.

10. Biak

It's getting there :(
    We're recent transplants to the area and even the local long timers are fed up. We've had snow on the ground since beginning of November but what the hey, wanted to get away from the humidity and 100F heat. Boy did we !!! Still, we enjoy the ice fishing, snowmobiling ( we could ride from our house to Canada) snowshoeing and general laid back lifestyle. About time to stroll back to the marsh, build a campfire and cook hotdogs while watching Deer and the Geese and Ducks that are starting to arrive.

11. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

If I was going to move to where the snow was on the ground for that long it would have to be in the mountains so I could do some skiing.

12. Biak

I thought of that too before we moved here but then I also like walking on two legs. Without crutches. Oh and being able to have use of both arms. I do have cross-country skies though. :)
    Planning on getting the observation/hunting blind built this summer. 6' x 4', about 8' off the ground, with roof and wood stove. Be able to watch the critters; Bears, Fox, Deer, Wolves and the occasional Cougar.

13. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Watch it, buddy. Cougars can be dangerous. :cutie:

14. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Especially during hunting season when their husbands are at the camp.

15. Biak

When ya reach my age the 'cougars' I'd have to worry about can't get away. Wait that didn't, I mean at my age I'll take anythi.... , um, Have I mentioned it snowed yesterday?

16. Biak

Spring has sprung and it's time to walk the woods for those delicious Morel mushrooms.

[​IMG]

from a cousin

17. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Pardon me.

18. Biak

The Sun is blinding and the heat wave has begun. It's almost 78 degrees ! Only thing I could do today was put a couple of Mallard ducks in the smoker, keep feeding the charcoal to the pit and sit there watching the temperature real close. Been at it since 0900 and they only have another two hours to go. Beer run !! & back we go to the patio :)

urqh likes this.
  19. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Been to beach today....Brean in Somerset...one of our only days of summer....girlfriends van...5 dogs...2 kids...well 2 adults...but we acted like kids...beautiful day...dogs loved it...now got to bath my two...others were greyhounds...Those things can move....And love the water....absolutely knackered...but great day....even booked 5 days in July in a caravan overlooking beach....Summer better come...

20. Campin' Carl

Campin' Carl New Member

It was 1oC yesterday in Adelaide.
    That's 33.8oF for reference.
    Currently 10oC.