Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Oh nothing really just wanted to share

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Biak, Jan 23, 2013.

1. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Golf is good because you can wash your balls in public. I don't think cricket allows that.

O.M.A. likes this.
  2. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Golf is also good because if you lose your balls, you can buy some new ones. And then wash them.

3. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

The washing of the spears was an old Zulu game....We played them once at Islandwhana...I think we lost due to bad light...

Rematch at Rourkes Drift...they declared 560 for 7 or something...

4. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Golf is good because you can say " I played a round with a woman" and not get in trouble.
    Just don't said she was a good looking woman!
    You can also say "We had a threesome today" and not get in trouble.

5. Biak

With all the talk about things in this World, from Snowden to Syria, it's good to know there is Hope. From my Hometown near my Hometown;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KDi4hBWsvkY

PEORIA —

A 96-year-old Peoria man's love song for his late wife has gone viral, earning more than a million hits on the Internet, landing on the iTunes chart and attracting the attention of news outlets throughout the world.
    Fred Stobaugh entered a singer-songwriter contest hosted this summer by East Peoria's Green Shoe Studio. The studio was looking for performance videos to be uploaded to its site, but Stobaugh doesn't use the Internet, or sing.
    So he snail-mailed the company a manila envelope with a handwritten copy of a song he wrote for Lorraine, his wife of 73 years, who passed away in April.
    "There's no question in my mind that she was the love of his life," said Jacob Colgan, producer at Green Shoe Studio, who was moved by Stobaugh's letter and the lyrics. "He didn't care if he won or not, he just wanted people to hear about his love for Lorraine."
    Colgan decided to record the song and create a mini-documentary about it. The video has so far attracted more than 710,000 hits on YouTube and more than 740,000 on Vimeo. As of Tuesday afternoon, the song had reached No. 13 on iTunes, skipping by Justin Timberlake's "Mirrors." The story has been picked up by news outlets such as Huffington Post, India Today and the Daily Mail.
    This doesn't mean much to Stobaugh, who isn't doing interviews. He has trouble hearing on the telephone, and his family doesn't want him to get stressed out with the requests that have poured in. Although he has never used Facebook or Google, he has gotten recognized around town and that leaves him tickled. Everyone knows about Fred and his epic love story.
    The couple first met in 1938, when Lorraine Pinquel worked as a carhop at the A&W root beer stand in East Peoria. Stobaugh arrived for a burger and a mug of root beer and left having gotten a glimpse of "the prettiest girl I ever saw," according to the video.
    He courted the beauty for a couple of years, and they were married in 1940. They had two girls, and Stobaugh made his living driving a dry cleaning truck. Grandchildren, great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren followed, and as the decades ticked by, the man was forever smitten with his Lorraine. She passed away on April 26 at the age of 91, two months before the couple's 73rd wedding anniversary.

Stobaugh has been grieving for several months, his family says, but this experience has brightened his days.
    "He's really pleased," said Marcy Hemp of Bartonville, one of Stobaugh's two daughters. "He's glad that he's kept my mom's spirit alive, and he's happy that everyone knows how much he loved her."
    DANIELLE HATCH is the Journal Star's entertainment editor. She can be reached at dhatch@pjstar.com or 686-3262. Read more at blogs.pjstar.com/thebuzz/ and follow her on Twitter @danielle_hatch.

6. Biak

Ever notice how that "perfect" Christmas tree isn't so perfect once you get it inside the house?
    After cutting down an innocent tree, dragging it back to the house, trimming a few branches near the bottom, bracing the tree-stand to support the 16 foot height. put a few lights on and then notice the branches are too small to hold anything more than tinsel! Once we had the lights on the tree the branches hung down and I thought the string of lights would slide off on to the floor. And ever notice how the 'perfect' shape turns into "we have a large gap here, and here, and up there".
    Heading back out to search for a better tree.

7. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Replace "Xmas tree" with "date", and I'd agree. ..She's a 3 dressed up as a 9, until the light hits her.

8. Biak

Didn't want to interfere with the discussion going on about the Earth about to burn up. But I did want to share the weather fact that just North of here it was minus 57 F last night. That's -50C for you metric-heads. Or 89 F degrees below freezing.
    the F doesn't stand for Fahrenheit

oh yeah;
    Found a 'better' tree;

[​IMG]

9. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

By minus 50c, is that with wind chill? Because (with chill) that would be a refreshing time to take a walk here. Maybe put on some underwear (clean ones), and then ice down the skating rink. Maybe have Wayne Gretzky come by and officiate a game of shinny...Then we'll go by the Prime Ministers house and sing carols.
    Naw...I'm kiddin'. - 50 anything is cold.

10. Biak

nope Pops, that's the official record keepers tally. According to my indoor-outdoor we only hit - 41 last night so they might have been fudging a bit just to get some attention.

11. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Dot Indian. lol. Makes perfect sense, and avoids any confusion with the local Native (feather) populace. Thanks Fiddy8. ..-laughing-

12. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I've solved that problem by getting a pre-lit, artificial tree. Once the ornaments are on, there's no worry (or watering).

13. Biak

This is the first live tree we've had since the early 80's. I missed the trudging through the snow searching for the "Right Tree" and this year the kids were going to be at our house, so we wanted to be sure the Grandkids got a good reception when they came through the door. I also like the "No Fuse - No Muss" aspect of the artificial trees but there's something about the smell of a real live tree.
    Now ya got me remembering "Our" first tree; tied it on top of a 74' Nova to get it home and found out we couldn't get it inside. We trimmed a few limbs and shoved it through a sliding window into our basement apartment. When we stood it up in the stand a good two feet of the top was bent over due to it's height. It took up almost half of the "living room". The artificial trees are nice but ya' just don't get those memories like you do with a real tree.

14. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

How is the environment ever going to right itself with you tramping around the woods, whacking down trees until you get the "right one". Al Gore and the tree huggers are looking for you right now.

15. Biak

If it doesn't warm up, and right da*n quick, I'm going to start cutting down every tree in sight and burning them. But we gotta remember it's Winter time people - it's suppose to be cold.
    I'm acclimating to the Northland I guess since we drove over to the airport to pick up a relative last night. Not too bad, it was minus 32F and the roads only had a couple inches of packed snow. Wish the 'local' landing strip was a little closer than the 75 mile drive. Old buddy Gore can eat my shorts. Never shut the car off for the two hours we sat and waited for the twin engine jet to arrive. Seems one engine froze up while waiting to take off from Minneapolis and they had to return to the shed to deice the plane and remove chunks of ice from the turbines. It was nice driving through the night (got home at 2am) and seeing the snow swirls crossing the road.
    Only four more months of this cool weather !!

16. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

When I was a boy, we always had a live tree and many an afternoon was spent looking for a suitable tree to liven up the season. Sometimes, we would already have few spotted and within easy harvesting reach, only to get to the chosen one and find someone already had it. Getting the tree in the house and cut to fit was always a bit of an issue, plus there was the ever present "hole" in the tree that had to be turned toward the wall.
    My grandfather always custom-made his tree stands each year out scrap wood he had. Usually by Christmas, the nails holding the tree to the stand were getting loose and on more than one occasion, the tree fell over. Dad said they same issue at his house when he was a boy and one year they ended up driving a nail into the ceiling and tying a string to the top to the tree to make it stay up.
    We have an artificial tree, but I don't like it. Not at all.

17. Biak

Heads Up !
    [​IMG]

The 101st Combat Aviation Brigade conducted a practice helicopter flyover Saturday afternoon in preparation for Super Bowl XLVIII Feb. 2.
    The aircraft formation for Sunday includes AH-64D Apache Helicopters, UH-60M Blackhawk Helicopters, and CH-47F Chinook Helicopters flying over MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey as a salute to our Nation’s Armed Forces.
    - See more at: http://clarksvillenow.com/local/101st-helicopter-pilots-to-fly-over-the-super-bowl/#sthash.UuAQwWTS.dpuf

18. Biak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UxRKGiXoMb4

ENOUGH SAID

19. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

That wasn't very nice. Buddy just wanted to dance.

20. Biak

Before World War II, 669 children who were destined for Nazi death camps were rescued and transported to England by Sir Nicholas Winton. Years later, they came together for a touching surprise tribute to their hero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6_nFuJAF5F0