Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Omaha Beach landing tables

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by ammojus, Jun 19, 2021.

1. ammojus

ammojus recruit

Part of the research I have been doing on my grandfather has now come down to finding out more information about the Omaha Beach landing tables. I have tried to understand the terminology, but to no avail. Perhaps someone here can help.

On this website, https://www.dday-overlord.com/.../omaha-beach/landing-table , I understand the first wave times, i.e., H Hour was about 6:30, and so forth. The Omaha Beach Second Wave listing on the right of the page, shows Q+00, etc. and Third Wave shows 3T+00, etc. What day and times were those waves? Were those on June 6?

My grandfather says in two different written memoirs that he landed on Omaha on D-Day in the second wave (and he said it wasn't much better than the first wave), about 7:30 a.m., and spent the day and night pinned down on the beach. In a third memoir, written later in life, he says something landing on the eve of D-Day (could have meant evening??) and was on the beach all night. He was an artillery officer (forward observer) and landed with the 1st Inf Div. He was part the 186th Field Art Battalion, V Corp Artillery.

2. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately that is a broken link at the French website. The 186th FA was attached to the 190th FA Group, which was in direct support of the 1st Inf Div for D-Day.

The 186th was part of the New York NG. Constituted 1 September 1940 and concurrently organized by conversion and redesignation of the 106th Inf New York NG (organized 31 March 1920) as the 1st Bn, 186th FA Regt (155mm H, Trk-D); inducted into federal service 27 January 1941 at Brooklyn; redesignated 8 February 1943 at Fort Ethan Allen, Vermont as the 186th FA Bn; departed the NYPOE 21 October 1943; arrived in the UK 3 November 1943; landed in France 8 June 1944; returned to the Z/I 14 December 1945 and inactivated the same day at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia.

The battalion actually landed on D+2, if your grandfather landed on D-Day he was probably assigned as a liaison officer to the 1st Inf Div. As such, he likely landed on the second tide on the evening of 6 June.

Flingwing67 likes this.